Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Taking The E-5 Out For A Spin!

I got a production E-5 a couple of days ago and I'm gonna take it out for some fall color photos tonight. If you've got any questions about it, let me know!

Good news - since this is a production camera with working firmware I can share sample photos now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking The E-5 Out For A Spin!-_mg_1765.jpg  
    Last edited by Photo-John; 09-29-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Taking The E-5 Out For A Spin!

If you get a chance try out the C-AF. I hope it has improved over the E3. I have read a few complaints with the E3. But I think it may just be a stronger battery? Another thing. How much better is the LCD in bright light? Has the Live view AF gotten any faster. A few high ISO shots would be great too. That should keep you busy, right?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

lower light slow shutter shots please =)
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

First E-5 Sample Photos

I got out right at sundown yesterday for some photos with the new E-5. I was rushing so I didn't get a chance to look closely at the camera settings and as a result I shot a bunch at the Normal JPEG setting instead of the Fine JPEG setting. So don't take these photos as the best the E-5 can do. I expect it can do a lot better. I haven't looked into RAW yet and I'm not sure what software can even handle the E-5 RAW files right now. The food photso were taken after I noticed the JPEG setting and bumped it up to Fine. The yellow aspens photo and the aspen leaf photo are both at ISO 400. The Alta sign was shot at ISO 800. Both of the restaurant photos were shot at ISO 1600. The color is a little wacky in those because of bad flourescent lighting. All photos have been adjusted a bit in Lightroom and Photoshop but nothing crazy was done - just a bit of levels for color and contrast.

For larger versions of all of these check my gallery. I've uploaded larger files there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking The E-5 Out For A Spin!-p1010005-780.jpg   Taking The E-5 Out For A Spin!-p1010014.jpg   Taking The E-5 Out For A Spin!-p1010033.jpg   Taking The E-5 Out For A Spin!-p1010050.jpg   Taking The E-5 Out For A Spin!-p1010046.jpg  

Photo-John

john what are your final thoughts on the production model now. is it worth the 1600$ or people should stick with E-3 and spend the cash on glass. Am just curious
    Olympus E-5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 14-35mm F2.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 12-60mm F2.8/4.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 7-14mm F4.0
    Sigma 30mm F1.4
    Olympus FL-50R Flash

Quote Originally Posted by rubeel
    john what are your final thoughts on the production model now. is it worth the 1600$ or people should stick with E-3 and spend the cash on glass. Am just curious
    I really haven't had enough of a chance to use it yet. I just came back from a big mountain bike freeride event and I was mostly shooting with another camera there. I did use the E-5 and it worked fine. However, I haven't been able to look at the RAW files and I need to dedicate some time to just shooting with the E-5 with no other camera distractions. So far it seems fine, though. One of the things that might be turning people off - that it appears to be almost the same as the E-3 - is actually a benefit. If you're used to the E-3, using the E-5 is a completely natural transition.
    Photo-John

I haven't been able to look at the RAW files
    If it didn't come with, Oly Master is a free download....

Your enthusiasm underwhelmes me.

Cheers, Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    Your enthusiasm underwhelmes me.
    Sorry about what you perceive as a lack of enthusiasm, Don. Don't think it's because of the camera. It has more to do with my workload than anything else. I'm juggling a whole lot of stuff right now and although the E-5 worked well at the event I just shot, I didn't have the right glass and the event was too important for me to make a 100% commitment to a camera I'm not totally intimate with. I think later this week I can give it the attention it deserves. The main thing I'm looking for is improved image quality and that's something I can't test until I can look at the RAW files. I'm not sure if Oly Master can even handle the E-5 RAW files - it's that new. I already checked once and it didn't look like it could. I will talk to Olympus and find out what needs to be done.
    Photo-John

Hi John,

I tracked down an E-5 orf file and it opened in Master and Studio.

On your unboxing video, you stated you weren't sure if the E-3 was released three or four years ago, it was announced in Oct/07.

You weren't sure if the screen on the E-3 was 2.5" or 2.7", it's 2.5".

Perhaps you don't understand there is a certain segment of the Oly community that is rabidly awaiting word on the performance of the E-5 and its raw output.

Cheers, Don

trigger happy geriatric.

Why bother to "rush" out information on this camera. Why not wait until you have the time, do a proper review, enclose pictures, the whole 9 yards?

As it stands, this tells me pretty much nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Dave6223
    Why bother to "rush" out information on this camera. Why not wait until you have the time, do a proper review, enclose pictures, the whole 9 yards?

As it stands, this tells me pretty much nothing
    Ouch, guys! My intention was to share some information with you as I was able and then give you the whole enchilada later. I didn't realize that would actually make people angry. I have to admit I'm surprised at your reactions. Usually people are excited when I share tidbits like this on my journey towards a complete review.

So, all that said, I will slow down a bit and give the camera more attention now. I do want to serve up useful information and I certainly don't want you guys to feel like I don't care or I'm just teasing you. Stay tuned and I will give you some solid information. There are already some info requests in this thread - feel free to add more. The more you tell me about what you want to know, the better my review will be.

Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by Photo-John; 10-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    Photo-John

Olympus E-5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 14-35mm F2.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 12-60mm F2.8/4.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 7-14mm F4.0
    Sigma 30mm F1.4
    Olympus FL-50R Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Ouch, guys! My intention was to share some information with you as I was able and then give you the whole enchilada later. I didn't realize that would actually make people angry. I have to admit I'm surprised at your reactions. Usually people are excited when I share tidbits like this on my journey towards a complete review.

So, all that said, I will slow down a bit and give the camera more attention now. I do want to serve up useful information and I certainly don't want you guys to feel like I don't care or I'm just teasing you. Stay tuned and I will give you some solid information. There are already some info requests in this thread - feel free to add more. The more you tell me about what you want to know, the better my review will be.

Thanks for the feedback
    Go at your own pace dude, I'm sure most of us would rather have small bits of info leading up to a full review rather then no information on it at all. Personally I check here frequently just to see if any new info on the E-5 has come out.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNy
    Go at your own pace dude, I'm sure most of us would rather have small bits of info leading up to a full review rather then no information on it at all. Personally I check here frequently just to see if any new info on the E-5 has come out.

John,

I agree with Mikey. I always enjoy reading about your personal experience to be honest. In the end, this is what counts anyway - real life and real life samples. I think taking the camera out as you did is a perfect way to get a bit used to it, share your thoughts, and then when you get down to the detailed official review, you already have some experience with the camera.

In the meantime, I am interested in the E-5. I won't consider purchasing it (too heavy and expensive for me), but I'm curious to see where Olympus is going with the E-5.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    In the meantime, I am interested in the E-5. I won't consider purchasing it (too heavy and expensive for me), but I'm curious to see where Olympus is going with the E-5.
    The value for you Liz, a Micro Four Thirds user, is that whatever technology Olympus is using to get better image quality out of the E-5, will eventually trickle down into the Micro Four Thirds cameras. So you should be interested, even if you don't plan to ever use an E-5 yourself.

I also thought it would be interesting to people that I took the E-5 out to shoot an event where 99.9% of the cameras are Nikon and Canon DSLRs. And the E-5 performed just fine and proved that you don't need Canon and Nikon to get professional results at a sports event.
    Photo-John

Actually, it is my understanding that the technology is trickling up from the micro 4/3's research

Cheers, Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    Actually, it is my understanding that the technology is trickling up from the micro 4/3's research
    Hmmm - that could be and it would make sense. Where are you getting that information?

On the other hand, the E-5 sensor appears to be the same as the 12-megapixel sensors in the Micro Four Thirds cameras but they're getting better image quality out of it.
    Photo-John

trigger happy geriatric.

We've heard that the AA filter film on the sensor is much thinner on the E5, any truth in that do you know?
    Last edited by Dave6223; 10-06-2010 at 03:08 PM.

John I think the way the image is processed in the camera may be better than the u4/3rd cameras. I have read the same rumors about the aa filter. The AF system is also suppose to be better. I have read many complaints about the C-AF of the E3. Plus I have always felt the IS worked better on the 4/3rd mounts. The IS on my EP-1 doesn't seem to be as good as my E3.
    I am sure we all are going to be surprised with the improvements over the E3. It is just going to take a few reviews and the E5 getting in a few hands.
    Keep up the good work John. Reviews is my only source of info. There is nowhere to get a hands on look in my area.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Dave6223
    We've heard that the AA filter film on the sensor is much thinner on the E5, any truth in that do you know?
    Yes - that is confirmed. I spoke to one of the main tech reps at Olympus USA and they said that the AA filter is thinner, allowing for better detail retention.
    Photo-John

Hmmm - that could be and it would make sense. Where are you getting that information?
    Through discussion and links on the 4/3 forum..

On the other hand, the E-5 sensor appears to be the same as the 12-megapixel sensors in the Micro Four Thirds cameras but they're getting better image quality out of it.
    Supposedly virtually the same sensor, different processing engine.

Cheers, Don

Liz

Yes - that is confirmed. I spoke to one of the main tech reps at Olympus USA and they said that the AA filter is thinner, allowing for better detail retention.
    The AA filter is weaker in the E-PL1 camera (probably all the EP cameras) which makes for better IQ.....I read somewhere (don't recall where) that this is one of the features that trickled into the new 4/3 cameras.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    The AA filter is weaker in the E-PL1 camera (probably all the EP cameras) which makes for better IQ.....I read somewhere (don't recall where) that this is one of the features that trickled into the new 4/3 cameras.

Liz
    The EP camera AA filter is slightly stronger than the E-PL1's. That is generally touted as an advantage for the E-PL1, but the slightly weaker filter is accompanied by slightly increased moire interference. I'm not sure if that's fixable, so to speak, so I'm curious to see if the E-5 does the same.

Maybe the E5 will be for forgiving for IR shots as well. I know the E3 isn't as suited for the job as the 510 was. Due to a thicker filter.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information