Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Ilford Delta 3200

Dear All,

Has anyone had any experience with this film?

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Re: Ilford Delta 3200

I've used this film, shot and developed at ISO 3200. I used it with my 6x7 camera so the grain wasn't as noticeable as a 35mm negative.

For 35mm, I think shooting it at 1600 and develop it regularly would be good. It's a very grainy film, but at 3200 that is to be expected. Overall, I really like the feel of the film.

I've attached an images shot with Delta 3200.

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilford Delta 3200-workday_m_6.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Before it disappears

Quote Originally Posted by Dzerzhinski46
    Dear All,

Has anyone had any experience with this film?

Dzerzhinski
    I'm just using up my last rolls of DELTA 3200 now. ILFORD film products have now disappeared from shops in France. After going bankrupt, the factory is still making the products but their logistics supplier (TNT) is not shipping the goods.

DELTA 3200 is grainy but I can live with it. I expose it at 1000-1600 ISO and develop in XTol (using the Great Developing Chart times - ILFORD's times for XTOL are too short).

Here's an example of a full-frame 35mm image with an enlargement of the grain - which has been treated with the grain-removal software on my scanner which is why it looks so weird.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilford Delta 3200-3693-29.jpg   Ilford Delta 3200-grain.jpg  

Ghost

I've shot about 10-20 rolls with in a few years ago. This film has fantastic qualities to it and the price is right. I'm not sure what you're asking for in terms of experience (I also shot 3200 and develop at 3200 at local pro lab) but I don't think you should pass up trying this film at least once.

ILFORD is back

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    I'm just using up my last rolls of DELTA 3200 now. ILFORD film products have now disappeared from shops in France. After going bankrupt, the factory is still making the products but their logistics supplier (TNT) is not shipping the goods.

DELTA 3200 is grainy but I can live with it. I expose it at 1000-1600 ISO and develop in XTol (using the Great Developing Chart times - ILFORD's times for XTOL are too short).

Here's an example of a full-frame 35mm image with an enlargement of the grain - which has been treated with the grain-removal software on my scanner which is why it looks so weird.
    There you see I say all ILFORD products have disappeared and I go out and the delivery truck must have got through because they're back in stock again. Thank goodness. I could have found an alternative to DELTA 3200 but XP2 would have been really difficult.

Charles
    p.s. Not being a big grain fan I was going to try Fuji Sensia 1600 (colour negative) and transform it to black-and-white. Finer grain, smoother tones, works with ICE dust removal. Can't make silver prints from it but I don't have the time to do that right now anyway.

I use it for concerts occasionally because it's a pretty low contrast film which works well with the high contrast lighting. Kodak's 3200 is a little granier (but that grain looks really nice!) and higher contrast so it's better in softer light (like the inside of a church without flash). Here's Delta 3200 at 3200 although I'll usually shoot it at 1600:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilford Delta 3200-spindoctors2.jpg  

Thread Information