Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Canon Announces G12

Canon announced the G12 tonight. I talked to them about it a few weeks ago and have an article up about it. No photos yet but I'll add them as soon as I get them.

Canon PowerShot G12 Announcement >>

What do you guys think about the Canon G-Series? Has it's time come and gone? I believe so. Read the announcement article to find out why
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Canon Announces G12

Thanks for the heads up on the G12 John. I have been a big fan of the G series for a while now, but like you, I think it's time may have come to an end. I still carry my G9 with me almost all of the time, but after holding an S90 a couple months ago, I could really get into a smaller, lighter camera. When I first got the G9 I knew I wanted a VF on my "P&S". It didn't take long for me to stop using it all together and now it just seems to add bulk and weight to my camera.

I have been starting to shoot more video clips with the G9 over the last year and I really love the time lapse video feature. If I'm not mistaken, that is a feature that was last available in the G9 and hasn't been added back into the G series. That's one of the big reasons I went with a used G9 instead of a newer model. It's nice to see that Canon stuck with the 10mp sensor again with this model and didn't get sucked into the MP race.

Like you, I find the camera interesting, but it's not something I would buy. If/when I get another "P&S" it will be smaller/lighter than my G9 and with any luck, it will do time lapse.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Canon G12 Photos

Ok, photos of the new Canon G12 and some more information have been added to the G12 announcement article page now. I'm really curious about how this camera will be received. I know I might have stacked the deck about here by sharing my own opinion in the article. But I think people will still snap up G12s like crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I agree with your sentiments, $500 for a fancy pocket cam, in the day where NEX and Micro four thirds go for very little more is silly. I always thought their $500 asking was a *little* steep, but at this point I think its absurdly steep. I think around $300 or less is a good target. Its cool, but its not $500 cool.

Honestly - I really think they add way too much of a premium in their cost on these.

drg

Re: Canon G12 Photos

I still believe the 'G' series has a definite use and thus a following. Canon nearly blew it with a couple of the Powershot models, eliminating for a while the fold out display and RAW image file capability.

They are an odd or maybe inconveniently sized camera but the lens, the viewfinder, the hot shoe, and many other features plus the added video still make this a potential favorite for many users. It is an 'all-in-one' if you will, compromises certainly, but a recognizable camera to many users who don't want to worry about changing lenses, don't need 'system' capabilities but still want functionality and high quality images in a variety of circumstances for several years to come! Plus for a Canon Shooter the layout is instantly recognizable and they become 'comfortable' to use or explain to someone else.

Will I buy another Powershot? Probably not as I'm wanting in non DSLR a very compact (cell phone or truly compact/ultra camera) and the quality for grab shots has increased tremendously with those types of units.

I don't see this as being a meaningful video platform and that I think at the moment is the main reason Canon released this model. I'm a user and believer in video, yet I don't want it in 'every' camera. There are family shooters however that video inclusion will make the difference in the purchase decision.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I just bought a Powershot S95. I figure it's a G12 in a "normal" point-and-shoot body with a limited-zoom f2 lens on the front. I'll write a review of it when I've got more experience. I took it out this afternoon and it works pretty well.

I need something really small (jacket pocket) that I can use in dark places like computer suites and after-work tourism. A cell-phone is far from enough - I need to be able to read the serial numbers on disk drives..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information