Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Talking SONY's Video capable DSLR(s)

Sure,

a little late to the party, but now all those who bolted to the Canon 7D ... can get on the return bus and adopt the just-introduced 14.2 MP SONY α560 (<- click on this) as their Optical View Finder (OVF) movie-making career move. The 16MP version, the α580 will be released soon.

But what really has the world abuzz is the Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) SLT-α33V and SLT-α55V Translucent Mirror Technology® DSLRs ... which locks the sensor safely and dust-free behind a NON-MOVING optically semipermeable (pellicle) mirror and allow it to shoot at 10-frames-per-second. A staggering improvement in sports shooting for a very, very reasonable price. Almost everyone can nail "little Johnny" as he crosses the finish line ... and blow by the competition! With an ISO 25600 ... this is a speed enhancement like never before. And, of course, internally stabilized 1080/60i HD video thrown in.

Along with all the Alpha lenses, you can also couple it with the lower-cost 85mm f/2.8 DT ($249) and the 35mm f/1.8 DT ($199) ... you can get back on the train and significantly lower the price per image that you always wanted.

No other manufacturer is offering such variety in your DSLR photographic solution. Nearly as many cameras as there are Minolta/SONY lenses to mount on them.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Re: SONY's Video capable DSLR(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap

No other manufacturer is offering such variety in your DSLR photographic solution. Nearly as many cameras as there are Minolta/SONY lenses to mount on them.

LOL - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

K well I'm really excited for this new move - I can see why they were late to the party, they really upped the ante with video recording on this one. Considering the nature of cutting the light through that mirror, I wonder how it will be viewing very low-light scenes in the EVF, I am inclined to believe it would be inferior to a normal OVF, but then, I guess it could boost sensitivity to EVF? Hmm... VERY cool I might even get one before too long.

A viseo demo of the A55 AF. - Terry

http://vimeo.com/14376901
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I will be looking at the new offerings as soon as they arrive at the local stores. Not sure if I will jump right in, I just got an A700 about a month ago.

Phil

Sony SLT Cameras - Huge!

I think Sony just stomped all over Nikon's D3100 announcement with the SLT cameras. It took me an extra day to get it done, but here's my take on the new SLT camera design:

Sony Alpha SLT-A55 and SLT-A33 Translucent Mirror Cameras >>
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm actually at least as interested in the other two - the A560 & A580 (though I guess they only announced the 560???). OVF, Phase Detect Live View AND Contrast Detect Live View (with 14x zoom for great macro MF). Oh, and also that video thing if interested. Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Okay maybe I dont understand the mirror, I guess it doesn't cut any light away from the image? It is completely transparent without any opacity?

Then my question before is irrelevant. lol. I'm really psyched, cant wait to try one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Okay maybe I dont understand the mirror, I guess it doesn't cut any light away from the image? It is completely transparent without any opacity?

Then my question before is irrelevant. lol. I'm really psyched, cant wait to try one out.
    The mirror is semi-transparent. I'm not sure how much light is lost between the mirror and the sensor. And I'm not sure how the exposure system compensates for it. But some light has to be lost. I think there were some specs on the old Canon pellicle mirror cameras and they lost a surprisingly small amount of light - maybe 10% if memory serves (somewhat) correct.
    Photo-John

Oh wow, thanks for clarifying. I wonder if this will have functional ramifications? Or if the difference is just negligible. My first thought was that exposures would just need more light, but I suppose their may be another method they use for standard uniformity (maybe rating ISO's at a relatively higher sensitivity?)

Estimates are that the mirror looses 1/3 of a stop and that the sensor is amplified (same as higher ISO) to get it back. There are always compromises. The EVF can be amplified independently like the LCD. In low light, just increase your exposure (SS or aperture) until you can see and then set it back for the shot (assuming the subject holds still that long). - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    There are always compromises. The EVF can be amplified independently like the LCD. In low light, just increase your exposure (SS or aperture) until you can see and then set it back for the shot (assuming the subject holds still that long). - Terry
    One-third of a stop really isn't much - especially for the potential performance gains. And as far as the photographer's experience, there won't be any change because the camera's metering system should compensate for the loss of light.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    One-third of a stop really isn't much - especially for the potential performance gains. And as far as the photographer's experience, there won't be any change because the camera's metering system should compensate for the loss of light.
    Sorry I wasn't clear - those were two completely different thoughts. I guess that's what they have paragraphs for.

The last part was just about using an EVF (vs. OVF) in low light. Scenes that would be near-black in an OVF can easily be seen with the EVF (or LCD) if you cheat. - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Sorry I wasn't clear - those were two completely different thoughts. I guess that's what they have paragraphs for.

The last part was just about using an EVF (vs. OVF) in low light. Scenes that would be near-black in an OVF can easily be seen with the EVF (or LCD) if you cheat. - Terry
    Oh - right! With the Canon EOS 1V RS viewfinder brightness was a real concern. But not at all with an EVF. And since the metering system will compensate for any loss of light, the mirror is a mute point as far as camera handling goes. In theory there may be a bit more noise due to signal amplification. But if it's only 1/3 stop, then I don't think it really matters.
    Photo-John

Thread Information