Photography Software & Post Processing Forum

Photography Software Forum Discuss Adobe Photoshop, RAW conversion, photography software, and anything related to digital photo processing. Forum moderator is GB1.
Digital Photography Software Reviews >>
Write A Review >>
Adobe Photography Software User Reviews >>
Photography Software News & Articles >>

black & white with color accents in aperture 3

Ok so I am going crazy trying to figure out how to turn a picture to black and white but then add one or two simple color accents - eg. turning eyes blue, or the flowers pink in a black and white photo. I am using aperture 3 and have made small strides but seem to keep hitting a dead end. I can't imagine that such a powerful program can't do this task, and so I am asking for any help at all....

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Re: black & white with color accents in aperture 3

I haven't used Aperture, but there's several typical ways one can do this:

- Desaturate the entire image, and then go back and paint the areas you want colored.

or

- Do the same as above, but instead of painting as mentioned first mask off the area you want using the mask tool and fill it with the color you want.

or

- If you want to keep certain colors in certain areas, mask them using the mask tool, and then invert the mask and desaturate. Everything in the masked area will become black and white.

Then again, Aperture may a dedicated tool to do this for you. Not having used it, I couldn't say.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the reply - any help is better than no help at all. i will try it out.

drg

Use the Tint Quick Brush to add color back in for 'selective coloration'. This is after using the B/W controls.

Or

Use the the Color Eye dropper to change the color of what you want changed or enhanced. Then use the Saturation Quick Brush to remove the remaining color.

Or

You can use a brushed Overlay and then erase the 'adjustment' to b/w or desaturated and then change the color with the Tint Quick Brush. Remember you can apply a Brushed Adjustment, such as de-saturate, to the entire image. Then, portions of it can be 'brushed away' leaving what you want to remain.

These are the easiest most straight forward ways I know in Aperture 3 at the moment with an add-on/plug in type program.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Or you can use HSL (on the right panel 3rd box down) and select Saturation and drag every colour down apart from the one you want to accentuate.
    Last edited by wipdesigns; 10-06-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Thread Information