Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Texas (implied nudity/semi nude)

I did this shoot a couple months ago. The subject wanted photos to represent her time in Texas, as she is military. She also wanted to go the less-clothing route. Considering this was my first of it's kind, I'm pretty pleased. She was interested in different editing styles, so I was able to try out some different things. I've actually got a shoot Sunday morning with her friend, whom she referred.

What do you guys think?
    (4th one was just for fun, flashing cows!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Texas (implied nudity/semi nude)-1.jpg   Texas (implied nudity/semi nude)-2.jpg   Texas (implied nudity/semi nude)-3.jpg   Texas (implied nudity/semi nude)-4.jpg  

Re: Texas (implied nudity/semi nude)

Wow, 50 views and not one comment? Come on guys, help me out here! haha

First and second shot are very nice (first being my favorite of the set). My personal opinion on the third is that it's a great idea, but she doesn't have the body or the wardrobe to pull it off (as the "director" you need to be aware of what works/doesn't work for a given body type). The forth is cute, and humorous, but has a very snapshoty feel to it. I'm sure she loves it but there doesn't appear to be anything that would lead me to believe this one would have wide commercial apeal.

GB1

A lot to critique,

The bottom one is a funny and a great idea, though the cows don't seem overly shocked ... Maybe they go to strip clubs a lot (and not the steak kind). Photographically, the shot is a little unrefined as she is slipping out of the frame for no great reason, and one can barely see the cow's head (or make it out since it's so dark!).

The 2nd from the bottom is more of an artsy shot, though it really doesn't talk to me too well. Maybe it's too plain?

I do like the concept on the 2nd from the top, but I don't care for the over-smoothing of her back. This stuff is subjective, but when in doubt I would not go there on post processing. It just looks fake. The grasses and her standing there is a good idea though.

The top one doesn't quite work IMO. The lighting is poor and the black and whites are producing an unpleasing array of grays. I like her smile. Be careful where you post it btw, sometimes the military can overreact to their service members doing silly stuff

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Overall I think you have some nice shots. Here are my thoughts:
    I think that the composition of the first is beautiful; however personally I like more contrast in black and white photos.
    I like the mood of the second one, but I wish there was more light on her hair. IMO as is her hair looks like a black spot in the photo.
    I can see where you were going with the third one, but the models legs look a little thick for this kind of crop.
    The fourth one is fun, but I agree with GB1 about not being able to clearly seeing the cow's head.

Being ex- Army I have to say that I again agree with GB1 about being careful with where these photos turn up. I'm sure the model loves them, but I'm just as sure that the military wouldn't.

Yeah the sense of humor is there. And the connection with the model. I think the first is the best of the series, but suffers from not having her in crispest focus. The last one, too is a good idea, but off just a bit. It probably would be a better shot if you could see the cow's face and it was actually looking at her. But a good idea...

I like the 4th one a lot, although I think it falls short of what it could have been. The first problem - and one that really jumps out at me - is that it's way too tight on the left side. That crop just ends up feeling sloppy and that's a shame. And although I like the concept, I think you'd have to work hard to make it really successful. I do think it's possible, though. I think the composition is the biggest issue. There's too much empty, wasted space around the subject and the cow and that makes the real action sort of hard to see. Yes, it is visible, but for a visual joke like this, subtlety is not what you want. I'd try a tighter composition that stacks the subject with the cow so you can see the cow better and so that they both fill more of the frame. I'm thinking a horizontal compostion would probably work better. If you can find a willing model, I think this photo is worth trying a reshoot to see if you can improve on this one
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I Like Number Three

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    My personal opinion on the third is that it's a great idea, but she doesn't have the body or the wardrobe to pull it off (as the "director" you need to be aware of what works/doesn't work for a given body type).
    I disagree. I think the third is the best of the bunch and it works really well for me. I don't think she needs to be really leggy for it to work, if that's what you're saying. Her legs might be short but I think they look good in this image, anyway. Plus, you have to remember who the client is. And if she likes it, then it's good. I also think her non-model legs add to the natural charm of the photo. A swimsuit model might have been nice to look at in this image, but that would have totally changed the feeling and message. This photo is cute and fun. A pro model might have overdone the sexy and made this into something completely different.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information