Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Newly aquired D50

I just got my hands on a D50 from a friend and have a few questions to ask. I have been an Olympus E series shooter for several years and no nothing about Nikon. Now I own a D50. I want to switch to Nikon all the way so I want to buy two good lens's. I know I want a 70 or 80-200 2.8 and a fast lens comparable to the stock lens wide angle lens. Isn't there something about the auto focus motor I need to worry about? In lens or on body motor and what brand do you suggest for the money. I want to spend the least amount possible.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Re: Newly aquired D50

I owned a Nikon D 50 for a few years and had a lot of good times with it....I only have good things to say about it. As for the lenses, I think any nikon lens is good depending on what you are looking to do with it.

You don't have to worry about the autofocus motor - the D50 was the last low-end Nikon to have the autofocus motor in the camera body. So you can use all the AF-D and AF-G lenses, which gives you quite a lot of choice.

The Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D is the best value at about $1000 new (it's been discontinued for quite a while). I have the AF-S version (it's huge) which was replaced by the 70-200 etc.

If you want a fast "normal" lens then look at the 35mm f1.8 DX for a bit more than $200.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

If you sell your Oly gear let me know? I still think you should get an inexpensive prime. What is the crop factor on the Nikons?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I am currently in negotiations with my son-in-law for his D50. So my Nikon Samurai #20 status may soon be active again...but I will also retain my K-Team status as well!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me that he goes for my offer!!!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffus_Griffin
    I am currently in negotiations with my son-in-law for his D50. So my Nikon Samurai #20 status may soon be active again...but I will also retain my K-Team status as well!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me that he goes for my offer!!!
    Darned Ruffus was messing with my computer again and forgot to logoff of his account!!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    You don't have to worry about the autofocus motor - the D50 was the last low-end Nikon to have the autofocus motor in the camera body. So you can use all the AF-D and AF-G lenses, which gives you quite a lot of choice.

The Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D is the best value at about $1000 new (it's been discontinued for quite a while). I have the AF-S version (it's huge) which was replaced by the 70-200 etc.

If you want a fast "normal" lens then look at the 35mm f1.8 DX for a bit more than $200.
    I agree with you . Nightime photography is great with a fast enough lens, especailly when you can even stop it down to get the bokeh highlights to turn nto hexegons .

Thread Information