Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

This bud is for you...

I shot this with my Sigma 105 mm. It's a new lens...and I'm still learning it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This bud is for you...-bud-resized.jpg  

Re: This bud is for you...

On the whole I like it. I think I want the bud to be larger. There is an awful lot of negative space. A crop that pulls it out of dead center might work better. I think as a matter of composition, dead center is usually a bad idea, right?

Lovely spring shot but agree that it is just to centered. Try cropping left and right some.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

When I compose things I usually just go the lazy route and try to put the center of interest close to one of the golden sections, which is roughly a third of the distance off two of the edges, whichever ones you choose. I certainly don't always do that, but it is a composition you probably should consider...

Okay - I cropped it. I know all about the rule of thirds...just was too lazy to crop it. That'll learn me! :blush2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This bud is for you...-bud-cropped.jpg  

Yeah that solved both of my criticisms. I like it better that way.

Looks tack sharp as they say. If possible, I would like to see what is in the droplet. Looks like a whole other dimension in there and I find myself drawn to it. How much cropping can you do before it blurs out??

Quote Originally Posted by Bretm1
    Looks tack sharp as they say. If possible, I would like to see what is in the droplet. Looks like a whole other dimension in there and I find myself drawn to it. How much cropping can you do before it blurs out??
    Ditto. I am loving the little water droplet for many reasons. For me, I dont pay much attention to the bud but I am engrossed in that little drop.
    Newbie to DSLRs, loving my Canon T1i-a recent upgrade from my first camera love-PowerShot A640

Feel free to ask me to edit my photos!

The dof you got was very good, but it also created those harder bokeh shapes you see on the highlights. You shot this at f/9, if you had shot a little more open like f/5.6 you would have still maintained the required dof for the branch (I suspect anyway), and had a softer bokeh in the background.

The waterdrop is a cool effect, and the reflection in its cool. Can you see yourself in the reflection on your full image?

Here is the water droplet...I can't see myself but I can see the trees upside down...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i would go tight.

Thread Information