ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

A Totally Different Kind Of Job

I did something completely different today. Actually, it was more than just a different kind of photo job. It was a totally unique place. I went snorkeling with tropical fish - including tuna and sharks - in the desert. I was there to take photos of Bonneville Seabase for an article that will appear in Wasatch Woman magazine. I went with my friend Lori, the writer, and her two sons. I shot a ton of photos out of the water, including the fish being fed and one of the boys petting the 10 foot nurse shark. It was one of the coolest photo jobs I've ever done. And the strangest. It's very surreal to be out in the desert, with snow on the mountains, taking pictures of people in SCUBA gear and tropical fish.

Besides the dryland photos, I also did some photos in the water with the brand new Olympus Stylus Tough-8010 waterproof point-and-shoot. I've included three photos taken with that camera. The two without my logo were taken by Lori. She's registered here as SnowFrog.

I won't post anymore photos from today until the article is published. But I have to say, Bonneville Seabase is one of the most interesting places I've ever been and one of the coolest things I've ever photographed. It's a natural salt water hot springs and they just imported the fish. The water is about 65 F and the deepest part is 60 feet, I think. You can dive or snorkel all year and it has to be one of the most unique diving / snorkeling locations in the world. I'm not a diver but being so close to such a cool place has me thinking about it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Totally Different Kind Of Job-p3120002.jpg   A Totally Different Kind Of Job-p3120069.jpg   A Totally Different Kind Of Job-p3120062.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: A Totally Different Kind Of Job

That wetsuit looks like they would be uncomfortable!

Very cool though, that would be fun!
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Wetsuits are more comfortable than 65 F water :-)

I only had it on when I was in the water. This photo was just for fun. I put the big camera back in the car right after Lori took this for me.
    Photo-John

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

wetsuits are awesome!

cool stuff, PJ.

drg

I've heard about this place. Sounds really cool! Hope there are more photos to come when the article gets published.

As this is an inland salt water locale, that would be a great place to test the durability of many underwater cameras! Just rinse everything thoroughly after diving. I could spend hours playing there I am sure. Salt water is such a great thing to swim/dive in because of the flotation factor. Just does a number on your hair and skin if one isn't prepared for it.

So where's your mondo big Dive Watch? Or shall we just now call you Flipper John? Happy diving!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Hope to see a lot more pic of this adventure. Looks like a very neat experience and a fun place to visit.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks for the comments, drg and the rest of you :-)

I am not a diver and not much of a snorkler This was my first time snorkeling in salt water. But I am tempted to take some SCUBA lessons now. It was a fun photographic challenge and I know I could do better with SCUBA gear instead of a snorkel. The flotation was actually a problem because it made it hard to really maneuver. That and I kept accidentaly rolling over like a fat manatee

The biggest problem was actually visibility. I guess it varies a lot there and during our visit it was pretty poor. I might go back just to get another chance to actually get some underwater fish photos. Between the visibility and me not being able to control my rollover episodes, it wasn't really possible to get any serious fish photos.
    Photo-John

Liz

Wow! What a great adventure trip.....

What a beautiful place to spend some time. Nice shots, btw. I think that first one is one of the best - maybe the best - I've ever seen of you. I hope you use it for your article. It is worthy of publication! :thumbsup:

Keep us updated so we can see the article and photos.

Liz

What do you think of the Olympus 8010 image quality??
    I am thinking of getting one. We are going to Rarotonga and we hope to get some nice underwater photos when we go snorkelling.
    Would you recommend purchasing this camera?

Olympus Stylus Tough-8010

Welcome to the site, Conb! I already have a hands-on preview page up about the 8010. So far my feelings are a little mixed, although I am enjoying using it:

Olympus Stylus Tough-8010 Waterproof Camera Preview >>

Hope that helps
    Photo-John

Thanks John,
    I have read your preview. I think it is a fantastic camera, the only thing that is stopping me purchasing it is that perhaps the image quality isn't that great.
    I think it would probably be okay for holiday snaps... but i'm not 100% on that.
    Your out of water photos seem fine to me, but the underwater ones seem a bit blurry.
    Is that the camera? Or was the water just blurry?

Quote Originally Posted by Conb
    Your out of water photos seem fine to me, but the underwater ones seem a bit blurry.
    Is that the camera? Or was the water just blurry?
    Oh - please don't judge the camera by those underwater photos! Visibility was terrible at Seabase that day! I'm surprised those photos came out as good as they did. I shot a bunch of hot tube photos last night. Let me see if I can get some of those processed and posted. But you should judge the image quality based on the dry land photos
    Photo-John

Thanks
    Have you ever used a strobe for your underwater photos?

Any luck with those photos John?

Very cool PJ. I have always wondered if it would be worth going out there to check it out. Sounds like you had a great time out there. Did they have wetsuits and snorkel stuff to rent or was that stuff yours?

Thread Information