Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Need Help With Flashes

I got my new Canon T1i and have been just playing around with it. Its my very first DSLR, I used to have a Canon PowerShot a640. I use my cameras mostly to take pics of my son and pets, and when I travel I get some scenery shots and outdoor stuff. Im not looking for a career in photography, so I dont need anything REALLY fancy or anything like that. But my problem with all canons I have ever used is the flash is really bright and washes everything out. I love canons but this is an issue I always have with them. Any tips to help with the burn out? Are there any external flashes you have used or heard of that have a more natural appearance to them but still offer a little light?

Re: Need Help With Flashes

I´m almost sure that your canon as many other SLR´s within the menus you can adjust the flash parameters (intensity, range, etc)....you can use a diffuser also.

The most important thing is "how to use a flash", I suggest you read the manual of you camera to learn the different modes...like the fill-in flash and how to set the meter or adjust the exposure when using the flash modes, this will give your shots the correct amount of flash needed do to the conditions of a particular scene. The built-in flash has many if not all functions from an simple external flash.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

Re: Need Help With Flashes

it depends which camera mode you use when you use the flash.

If you use P, the the flash is the primary light source, which can result in the washed out look

if you use either Av or Tv, then ambient is the primary light source, with flash as a fill in

with manual mode, you have more control

Experiment with P mode and -ve flash exposure compensation, or the other modes

It's a complicated subject, beyond a quick reply on a forum

try looking looking at

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

and you can always RTFM!
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Thread Information