Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Mountain

Mountain

It is called Nevado de Colima, it is about 12700 ft high.
    It will only gets snow 1 or 2 days every year, this time it got much more and it has lasted over a week, currently closed to the public as there has been some accidents.

Comments & Critics ?

Thanks !

Re: Mountain

Very pretty. Nevado de Colima is the higher and older of two towering volcanos in the Colima Volcanic Complex,( thanks to Mr. Google). The foreground first hit this newbie as too dark but then I was taken by the yin and yang type contrast between the dark and the light and it all of a sudden made it ok, especially with the majesty of the volcano's ( I think the stubby one to the right is active) and the pastel sky.

Very nice,no critique needed from me, well done.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Yeah, pretty nice. I assume there is a paved road to this spot?

Well, since you asked for it... at the top of the frame, near the white strip of cloud (thin and very white) there is a black dot... a speck really... just a quick cloning out or Spot healing will do...

And that's it... there is nothing about this photo that in my opinion warrants any comments that could be constructive... all of it is simple and honest congratulations and admiration.

So bravo... it's excellent!
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thank you all for the comments !

Bret, the active volcano is behind the Nevado , not visible in this photo, I would have to drive another 40 miles or so to get a sight of the "Volcan de Colima", it's not usual to be driving on the highway and see a column of smoke expelled up in the air.

Greg, thanks again

Daq, yes there is a toll road from Guadalajara to Colima, quite nice actually , I got to do a bit of a bit of high speed "test" of the TDI
    A secondary road passes a lot closer to the base of the mountain, up to the entrance of the national park, then it is all non-paved to get up the mountain, that part is currently not accessible to the public.

Marcus, It took me a while to find the tiny black dot , thanks for the comment

Why do machines and roads have to be so compelling? Too bad you can't ride the unpaved part, but I would probably too much of a weenie on a motorcycle.

GB1

Interesting colors and transition in the sky. This one is about simple shapes and colors. I might try bumping the contrast up just a little bit more to create more punch. It should also be sharper where the distance hill meets the foreground one (is the original sharp or is this a resizing of the JPG issue?)

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB1

here is second try ...

regarding sharpness, hmm, the original is not much better
    I added a bit of highpass filter, 1 radius, but seems to have added a bit of a halo right on the transition of the mountains
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain-dsc_6423-800-v2.jpg  

Big improvement on the second one. Way more saturated and soft.

No, not more saturated, but softer with more luminous light in the foreground.

GB1

I know what you mean about the hallows, but I still think it can be adjusted further Armando. Here's a small tweak I tried ..

EDIT - Actually, I see the hallow on the left side (didn't notice it until now). I guess it just can't take any more PP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain-dsc_6423-800-v2-gbedit.jpg  

My Site

I'll try sharpening the original size, then resize

or try a tonemapped version from a single raw

I'll see what works better

but I call it night by now

Thanks

So i guess I was wrong... there could be some improvement.. the second looks much much better!
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

n8

I think the foreground looked better silhouetted imho. Great picture either way. I see you made the move on the d300...good call.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I know what you mean about the hallows, but I still think it can be adjusted further Armando. Here's a small tweak I tried ..

EDIT - Actually, I see the hallow on the left side (didn't notice it until now). I guess it just can't take any more PP
    Takinga second look at you edit,
    I can see a good improvement on the mountain

What did you do ? looks like more contrast and more sharpening , right ?
    If I avoid sharpening the edge of the foreground mountan I think it will still look better.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m
    Takinga second look at you edit,
    I can see a good improvement on the mountain

What did you do ? looks like more contrast and more sharpening , right ?
    If I avoid sharpening the edge of the foreground mountan I think it will still look better.
    Right. A bit more sharpening and bumped up the contrast, which increases the feeling of sharpness. I also ran it though Neat Image's grain reduction plug-in, which smoothed it out a little.

You might want to try selective sharpening, hitting the right side a little more than the left. But I think you might run out of options before it gets as sharp as you want. Just hold to the image,.. in a year or two they'll have a miracle sharpening plug-in that will solve everything

My Site

Armando, I think this is a beautiful shot that is stunning in its simplicity and subtle colors and tonal gradations. Effective layering of the foreground and distant mountian, and the sky with its soft pastel like colors and tones top it off to a fine touch.
    everyone will have their preferences about post processing and none is really right or wrong, its very subjective. I feel the original was best. i liked the soft focus of the mountain, it keeps it further away and adds more depth to the photo than having it sharpened and brought out front. the soft colors and tones with minimal saturation is delightful and very pleasing to view. there is a sense of tranquility and calm with the softness and subtlety of the original.
    Exellent composition.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 02-16-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured photo. February 16th, 2010
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Grats on the stick.

wow! my first sticky

^ Are we surprised?

Fantastic shot. Picture perfect.

Not much to add or correct from that shot Armando....really nice capture, light and frame...well done! and congrats on the sticky :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Please Say More

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    Yeah, pretty nice. I assume there is a paved road to this spot?
    Just a reminder - this is the Photo Critique forum. "Pretty nice" is not a critique. This is a serious forum and you sell yourself short by not really participating. You may think that the photographer has the most to gain here. I don't believe that's the case. I think the critic actually learns the most. The process of breaking down and articulating what you like and don't like about an image is very powerful. By making the effort you learn a lot about what you like and don't like, what works and doesn't work. Being a critic will make you a better photographer. So don't be shy and don't be lazy. Make the effort and reap the rewards!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information