Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Should I buy the D3000

Hi,
    Iam about to take the plunge into SLR photography. I have been looking into getting the Nikon D3000 as my first camera. Has anyone used this camera? and what are your pros and cons?
    Thanks

Re: Should I buy the D3000

Welcome! i'm lookin into a few different DSLRs, the thing that puts me off the D3000 and D5000 is that it doesn't have a built in AF motor, which means the motor is in the lense, so u need slightly more expensive AF-S lense to AF. I've never used it, so I can't give you any more advice really. I do know it's cheap lol, I'm in the UK aswel and lookin into D90! What do you kind of stuff do you photograph? The guys here will be able to help you more if you tell them what you use it for.

At the moment I am photographing all kinds of things with my old trusty point & shoot, but want to get into SLR photography.

n8

I'll just throw this out there right now...almost every other post in this particular forum ends with "get the d90." I think it's very easy to out grow the models below it.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by thecounsel
    I'll just throw this out there right now...almost every other post in this particular forum ends with "get the d90." I think it's very easy to out grow the models below it.
    i agree totally, the D3000 will be very simple to use and you may grow out of it very quickly and want to upgrade
    the D90 is at a decent price at the moment, however, alot of people will tell you its better to get a lower model and get some decent lenses than get an awsome body. which i also agree with.
    find a few lenses that u like and can afford and then choose your DSLR around that.

whats your budget?

kyle

I agree with thecounsel. The D3000 and D5000 are both solid little cameras, but I would go ahead and spend the extra funds on either a D80, or preferably the D90. I shoot with a D80, and am about to make the leap to full frame this summer, once the money comes in. Point is that the D80 hasn't held me back over the past two years until about the last couple months. It's a solid SLR to learn on, to figure out how to get correct exposures and what not.

TLR Buy a D80 or preferably a D90

Good Luck

Don't have the D3000 but..

The D3000 is an evolution of the D60 with the autofocus from the D200/D90. I don't have the D3000 but I have the D60 and the D200 so I can imagine what it would be like. I would go for it.

Things I like about the D60:

- Low cost, light weight, small size (I use it in risky situations)
    - Solid feel when you put the right lens on it (example: 35mm f1.8). The 18-55 kit lens makes it feel cheap which is a pity because it's a nice body
    - Image quality right up to 3200 ISO

Things I don't like about the D60 (and probably the D3000)

- Only one control wheel. You can set Shutter Speed or Aperture but not both at the same time as you can with all the Nikons from the D90 onwards
    - The D60 has most of the options of the D200 but some are only available in program modes. For instance if you're shooting sports and you want to do follow-the-subject focussing and continuous shooting then the only way is to use the Sports program. OK this is not a big deal
    - Small viewfinder. When doing a group it's tough to see the expression on individuals faces
    - Older lenses only have manual focus. Doesn't bother me much

The autofocus on the D60 only has 3 points but this doesn't bother me too much. I really like the 11-point autofocus on the D200 so this is a plus for the D3000.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Dyslexics of the world Untie! Nicci's Avatar
    Land of Vikings and Salty Black Licorice and ABBA!

I will chime in with everyone else and say D90! I was debating between all these and after a little research and the super nice people on here, I settled on the D90 and I love it. The D5000 and D3000 are VERY beginner DSLRs and while that is great, if you plan on learning more you will grow out of them very fast. Also, as was pointed out by Kag12 the advantage of the D90 is the built in AutoFocus. The D5000 and D3000 lack this which means your lenses will cost more.

There is a learning curve with D90 as it won't "do everything for you" like the other 2 will but it will grow with you and, as you will see in some of the signatures on here, even if someone uses one of the super professional cameras, i.e. D300S or D700, they have kept their D90. It is just that awesome.

Trust me when I say, Send the little extra and get the D90. You will love the performance, the way it handles, the durability (I have banged mine around), and the picture quality.

All opinions expressed by this person are purely that, opinions which means she doesn't actually know anything about photography.
    Nikon D90 newbie
    --------------------------------------
    My sad little flickr account
    My project 365

Good cameras both the D3000 and the 5000 but now doubt I would go for the D5000.
    Also Canon has exelent DSLR´s to start...actually for what I´ve read I would go that way myself. Check the models XT....XTi...XS...XSi. My personal vote goes for the XSi no doubt. There are newer "versions" or models from Canon but XSi is good with your pocket and with really nice quality with a lot of lenses to choose from down the road.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I have not used it.
    The'beginner' cameras from Nikon are quite good cameras, if you will only be using newer lenses (afs) and just want to be able to capture decent shots.
    If you are going to get serious and want to be able to learn and grow in your photography skills, then you'd want to go with the D90 or better.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Go with a D90

At $800.00 It's a really good camera body... that in my opinion...ROCKS!

I'm still amazed what the Highly rated D80 can do, I'm keeping mine.

Rick

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I'll second the vote for the D90, I have not heard good things about the D3000. Even the D5000 would be a better deal.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I have the D5000 and I am very happy with it as my first DSLR. If its worth anything. I know you asked about the 3000.
    "Go Fast, Turn Left, Repeat"

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    I'll second the vote for the D90, I have not heard good things about the D3000. Even the D5000 would be a better deal.
    Damn, I've read quite a few positive comments on the D3000.

I'm looking to take the plunge from my little Samsung point and shoot and decided on the D3000.

Can you advise what you've heard about the D3000 or links??

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by posiview
    Damn, I've read quite a few positive comments on the D3000.

I'm looking to take the plunge from my little Samsung point and shoot and decided on the D3000.

Can you advise what you've heard about the D3000 or links??

Thanks...
    have you gone to a shop and got your hands on the D3000?
    i think its the most important thing you can when buying a body!
    the D3000 is a nice camera, but keep in mind is a ENTRY-level DSLR.
    and always remember about lenses, they are most important part of the camera!
    kyle:thumbsup:

Nikon D90
    Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3
    Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR ED
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 AF macro (1:2)

I have a friend who really has a natural talent, she take of the most beautiful and striking pictures I've seen in a long time, and she was only using an iPhone, so the old saying "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" seems to apply to her. That being said, she recently bought a D5000, and after a few days of use she returned it and bought a....wait for it... D90, and she loves it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm happy with my D40, and I have been into photography a lot longer than she is. At the end of the day, it's what you enjoy shooting with and what YOU like that matters.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Yes, its a very good camera.
    But question should be..... what do you want the camera for, to for your personal enjoyment or is it part of your job, or do you want sell the pictures?

The Nikon D3000 does take very clear excellent pictures. That one would enjoy showing off.

Easy to use. A good choice for going from point and shoot to DSLR.

It is a personal choice.

I ended up getting the d3000 and so far love the camera. I chose it over the 5000 mostly for price point as I am a single father but so far am very happy with it and have taken alot of great pictures. If you look in my gallery all the shots are with the d3000 and the kit lens or my 50mm f/1.8
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nikon D3000, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G, 50mm f/1.8D, 55-200mm ED VR

Things that fly: Girls and Airplanes

I see that it's been a while since this question was originally asked, but I'll throw in my .02.

I bought a D3000 about 3 months ago and so far I am very pleased with it. I love taking pictures, and any DSLR that I have will purely be for my own personal use. It takes great pictures, and is very easy to use for a beginner. I will most likely stick with it for a while building other camera related supplies before I get another body.

Just my thoughts for any others that may be interested in the D3000 as well
    They call me House, I like things that fly, like Girls and Airplanes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46238815@N03/

Thread Information