Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Wrastling

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

Wrastling

Shot a couple of meets the past two days. In the top photo the wrestler in black had his opponent pinned then turned to look at the ref with a look of "when are you going to slap the mat?" The second snap the wrestler in black, who is ranked number one in Illinois, pinned his opponent in 12 seconds. Ouch, the walk of shame. On the third snap this top state-ranked wrestler just toyed with his opponent before slamming him to the mat and pinning him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wrastling-3aweb1.jpg   Wrastling-3web1.jpg   Wrastling-h1web1.jpg  
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

Re: Wrastling

Wow! Wow. WOW!

I already commented on the third one in the gallery. That is some sweet timing and your lighting is excellent! Please give us some tech info on that shot. In particular I'd like to know what kind of lighting you were using and how you had it set up. ISO would be good, too.

Don't forget to update the details on your photos in the gallery! There are lots of members and visitors who spend most of their time on the gallery.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Actually, I wasn't that happy with the lighting because I tried something different. I normally use Canon 550EX speedlites set high in the stands and set them to manual, 1/4 power. I then set my camera to manual, ISO 800 at 1/250 at f2.8. This time I used one light and set it to half power as I wanted to get a stronger contrast between light and dark but in this instance I think it was a tad too strong and gave me harsher shadows.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

Quote Originally Posted by fidgety
    This time I used one light and set it to half power as I wanted to get a stronger contrast between light and dark but in this instance I think it was a tad too strong and gave me harsher shadows.
    Yeah, I can see that. You could use some fine-tuning. I do like some shadow, though. If you play with the lighting ratios and placement you can definitely get the best of both worlds. I like this because it's not the standard, flat, straight-on flash lighting.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Actually, I wasn't that happy with the lighting because I tried something different. I normally use Canon 550EX speedlites set high in the stands and set them to manual, 1/4 power. I then set my camera to manual, ISO 800 at 1/250 at f2.8. This time I used one light and set it to half power as I wanted to get a stronger contrast between light and dark but in this instance I think it was a tad too strong and gave me harsher shadows.
    Nice shots, which lens were you using? Do they give you a hard time about the flash?
    Shal

Quote Originally Posted by jacobovs
    Nice shots, which lens were you using? Do they give you a hard time about the flash?
    I was using the Canon 70-200 2.8L non-IS. I've never had a problem with flash as I mount it high in the stands and fire it with a Pocket Wizard.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Wow, great action shots, clear, and crisp. Congrats on the Feature.
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

That third one is a photo of the week for sure. Very deserving.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I was using the Canon 70-200 2.8L non-IS. I've never had a problem with flash as I mount it high in the stands and fire it with a Pocket Wizard.
    I have a REALLY dumb question. Are you not worried about someone stealing your flash? I was testing my pocket wizards at home and my wife asked me that, I never thought about it. Have you ever had that problem?

BTW I can't believe the Maxpres thing. Most of the shots I have seen there pale in comparison to the ones I have seen from you.
    Shal

Quote Originally Posted by jacobovs
    I have a REALLY dumb question. Are you not worried about someone stealing your flash? I was testing my pocket wizards at home and my wife asked me that, I never thought about it. Have you ever had that problem?

BTW I can't believe the Maxpres thing. Most of the shots I have seen there pale in comparison to the ones I have seen from you.
    I've never worried about clamping my flash to a railing. Most of the places I clamp them to already have a videographer or someone else from each team near by so they're pretty good about keeping an eye on things. Plus, there is one school I cover as part of my beat and I've been shooting there for five years so everyone knows me and if someone saw someone trying to rip off the flash I'm sure they would say something. Even still, I usually streal a quick look every now and then to make sure it's okay.

Thanks for the comments about Maxpreps. I have no idea why they didn't accept me but I'm not going to worry about it. I prefer having the sportsshooter.com senior membership anyway.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

Thread Information