Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Canon EOS 7D Wireless Flash Sample

I finally dug into the 7D manual to learn about the new built-in wireless flash feature. I was worried it was going to require one of the newer flashes. That would be a bummer for me since I am still using two beat-up Canon 550 EX flashes. But they get the job done for me so I am in no hurry to replace them. So I was very happy to discover that the EOS 7D's built-in wireless flash feature will work with any Canon flash that's equipped with Canon's infared wireless functionality. To use the new wireless flash system, you go into the camera menu to activate and setup the wireless flash. Then you set your flash to act as a slave, open up the 7D's pop-up flash and fire away. In the photo below I'm holding a 550 EX in my right hand and it's being triggered wirelessly via the 7D's pop-up flash. Flash metering is via the standard E-TTL system so you don't have to manually set the flash exposure as you would with a radio slave system.

I'm really excited about the 7D's wireless flash. It's been a long time coming for Canon - Nikon, Olympus and Pentax have offered it on DSLRs for quite a while now. It's going to be a godsend for me at tradeshows, parties and when I want to travel light in the backcountry. I'm glad I finally took the time to figure it out. And I'm really pleased that Canon didn't require me to buy a new flash to take advantage of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canon EOS 7D Wireless Flash Sample-_mg_3705.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Canon EOS 7D Wireless Flash Sample

"Nikon, Olympus and Pentax have offered it on DSLRs for quite a while now."

And Sony.

BTW - If the pop-up flash is too bright (like maybe on your face in this shot???), you can stick a piece of exposed film over it. It still lets the IR through, but blocks most of the visible. I have a piece attached permanently on my pop-ups.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Re: Canon EOS 7D Wireless Flash Sample

Thanks for adding the Sony info, OldClicker. I wasn't sure and I was too lazy to look it up

I think my face is fine in this shot. I wanted it a bit brighter that the background. There are a few different settings and I think I have it set so that the pop-up flash isn't supposed to effectively fire. I mean, it has to trigger the 550, but I don't think it's supposed to effect the actual flash exposure. I do need to look into all the options some more, though. I can't claim I know the system in and out. I just put in enough time to confirm it works.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information