ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk

Last night there was a photowalk at the LDS Temple Square in downtown Salt Lake City. The Mormon Church puts up a lot of lights around the temple and tons of people visit it this time of year. The Photowalk Utah group arranged a free workshop before the actual photowalk and then everyone met outside Temple Square at 8 PM. I went with my friend youtah and we made it just in time for the group photo. Turned out there were about 140 people so the group photo was a pretty big production. I lent them a PocketWizard and another flash to help them get sufficient light coverage. The first photo below was taken with the Canon PowerShot S90 (in Program w auto ISO) while the group shot was being set up. You can see the real photo here. It's an impressive photo, considering the size of the group and the conditions.

The second photo is youtah's D700 set up to shoot the temple. I took that one with the Olympus E-P1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-img_0272.jpg   Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-_c180024.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Lots Of Cameras & Lensbaby Composer

Since this was a big group thing, I took a bunch of cameras to play with and let people take a look at. I had the Canon PowerShot S90, the Olympus E-P1, a Canon XSi / 450D with a Lensbaby Composer and I also had my Canon EOS 7D. The 7D saw the least use since it was in my backpack and I had two cameras and another camera bag around my neck. It was just too much trouble to get to the 7D. I did take a few pictures with it toward the end of the evening, but I haven't downloaded those yet.

I'm happy I took the Lensbaby because it's beena bit of a challenge for me to find subjects that I think work with it. This was a great place to use it because it's great for photographing the Christmas lights! It's also good for portraits. My Lensbaby technique could use some work. But I did get a couple that I liked. They're a bit sloppier than I would have liked. But hey - that's sort of the point with the Lensbaby, right?

The portrait is of Ann Torrence. She's a really great photographer and just produced a book about Highway 89, which runs from Canada to Mexico. There's more on the book and Hwy 89 on Ann's blog: http://www.anntorrence.com/hwy89/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-_mg_5179.jpg   Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-_mg_5178.jpg  
    Photo-John

The E-P1

The E-P1 ended up being the camera I used the most. It also got a lot of attention from the other photographers. Seems a lot of them haven't seen one yet. It was perfect for this event. It would have been nice if I'd brought a lens besides the kit lens for it, though. However, the combination of built-in image stabilization and good high-ISO performance meant I could use it handheld and I also had a tripod with me for some more carefully composed photos. The only problem I had was focusing. The E-P1's AF system chokes in super low light. So I ended up using manual focus after a while and that worked great. The manual focus system on the E-P1 is excellent and easier to use than any other digital camera I've ever used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-_c170012.jpg   Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-_c180033.jpg   Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-_c170014.jpg  
    Photo-John

Cold

It was cold. Yup. When we headed out, youtah and I didn't think it was gonna be that bad. Boy were we wrong. I don't know how cold it actually got, but it hurt. Luckily we were both dressed for it. The only issue I had was that my fingerless gloves were, well, fingerless.

That's youtah with the Nikon on the tripod. And your's truly with the hood on, shortly before we bailed back to the car to get warm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-img_0297.jpg   Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-img_0299.jpg  
    Photo-John

Gatherings & Photowalks!

I meant to post a message about this on ViewFinder yesterday but I never got it done. I did post a quick note about it on our Facebook fan page. Anyway, gatherings and photowalks are a great way to get connected with your local photo community, shoot some stuff you wouldn't usually shoot, and learn some new skills - or even share some of the stuff you've learned with other photographers. I had a great time last night and took a bunch of crappy photos of stuff I ordinarily wouldn't even think of shooting. It was good for me and I've got some fun stuff to share because of it. I encourage everyone here to see if there's a local photowalk group in their area. If not, you can post here and get something started. It's been a while, but we've had some really cool Gatherings through the site and I'd love to see and attend more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk-_c180028.jpg  
    Photo-John

Re: Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk

The last is a breath taking shot, and all the naratives are great. 2 - :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Something like that looks like a blast.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You really need to advertise this better...
    I would have like to have come!
    Brian
    :biggrin5:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Photography Enthusiast

Talking Re: Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk

Woooo Hooo! I feel like a super star!

This is the picture from my D700

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slc_jm/4196234500/
    Jeff McGrath (youtah.com)

Smile Re: Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk

Wonderful images! It was great to finally meet you, too ... as brief as it was. Hope to see you around in the future!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Looks like!

Its gonna be tough leaving the CA December weather (supposed to be mid 60s for my wedding in Oakland this afternoon I'm photographing) and heading to my parents in UT where its more like 30. Ugh
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

That looked like a really fun outing.
    Jimmy B

Smile Re: Salt Lake City Temple Square Photowalk

Very nice photos!!!

I wish i could have been there.

Keep up the good work.

Maddy

Quote Originally Posted by nicolesy
    Wonderful images! It was great to finally meet you, too ... as brief as it was. Hope to see you around in the future!
    Good to meet you, nicolesy! I plan to participate more in the Utah photowalks. It's such a great group of photographers and I'm really impressed with the willingness of the pros to share their experience.

Hope to see you on the site again! I know people here would appreciate your presence and it's one more place to get the word out about the stuff you're doing
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by maddy
    Very nice photos!!!

I wish i could have been there.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, maddy. Glad you liked the photos. Do you have a Salt Lake City connection? I expect there is a photowalk group in Las Vegas. There are also other PhotographyREVIEW.com members in your area. Make an effort to get connected with them and get out to do some shooting as a group!
    Photo-John

Went to Temple Square recently as well with my new camera! Love your photos! It's such a photogenic scene this time of year!

lol John, do they let you in that temple?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    lol John, do they let you in that temple?
    No, they do not. You have to be an active member of the LDS Church with a "temple recommend" to actually enter a Mormon Temple. Their function is very different from a church. I actually grew up LDS but haven't been a believer since I was about 14. But Temple Square is still a neat place and I love my Mormon heritage and the early history of the Church
    Photo-John

Wonderful thread John. This is what PR and the Viewfinder are all about. Thanks for the post.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information