Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

photography as art?

Taken at the PhotoMiami Exhibit this afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photography as art?-art-dscf7051.jpg  

Re: photography as art?

Great shot but I would crop the top...ceiling and the sign distracts IMO.

On second looks what happened to that man`s hand?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

I think cropping it from the top would work and clean it up a bit, but I rather like the openess that it provides. I like seeing a bit of the rest of the place.
    I think this is pretty good.
    Now that Rob mentioned it, I too wonder what happened to this guys hand.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I had considered cropping the top but didn't for 2 reasons. Personally I liked the symmetry of the perspective distortion & I wanted to convey the fact that this was a large exposition. If I chop the top, you have no idea how big the room is. This way gives at least a hint.

The hand... this guy has both hands. If you look carefully you'll understand what you think you're seeing is not really what you're seeing.

I like the feeling of "elbow room" that the original gives, I tried the crop by moving the page down and it makes the scene feel cramped. Very nice work.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

GB1

I'm a little confused by the title as to whether we're supposed to look at the art on the wall, or look at the overall scene? If the art, it's too small. Personally I like the unfinished ceiling look, but I like that look in general. It would be a much different photo cropped out. I like the fellow looking here but I wish he wasn't partially obstructing our view of that plane (jet ). Nice shot.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

jet, I love this image just the way it is (how Mr. Rogers of me), but I also like the cropping idea suggested by others.

I'm also wondering if some muting and added contrast might work...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photography as art?-art-dscf7051.jpgedit2.jpg  

I like it cropped IMO is better (different mind different taste)
    Dray the crop for my taste is way too low, I would give it the same space that is showed from floor to frames...hope that was clear...excuse my English and Mondays aren't good days...need more coffee

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I prefer uncropped and only the sign is a little distracting but not that much and probably not worth the trouble of cloning out.
    I look at it as an artistic exhibition of photography work.though not enthused by what he is looking at.
    I think you did well and I think the tones you used add to the effect.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Well, I'm glad to see this one has sparked some discussion and controversy, must mean I'm on the right track :lol:

The sign is pretty easy to remove Frog, so I may give that a try, as well as Dray's suggestion about adding a touch of contrast, which would probably make it "pop" more.

GB, the reason I chose this one to post (took several, with different people) was to illicit more questions than answers from the viewer (and it appears to work on that level). I liked this subject best because the dark clothing gives more of a silhouette which represents an anonymity (although he is the subject, his individual traits are not important - it could be anyone). The stance and distance from the pieces imply that he is asking himself the age old question "It's cool and all, but is it art?". I do regret that you guys can't see the woman in a bikini standing on a hill underneath the second plane, but there was no way to include that and keep all the other elements in the viewfinder, so consider it "extra mystery" (she wasn't that hot anyway ).

I'm really quite pleased to have finally posted a shot worthy of some discussion, so thank you all for taking the time to contribute to this one. It's very much appreciated (and no need to stop now )

You forgot to mention that you choose that subject because HE HAS NO HAND! :lol:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

When jetrim posts a photo, I always look -- jetrim, you're work is fantastic and your website is also very nicel.

I opened this one up, and am taking a quick fly-by, enjoying the generalities of the scene - I do like the open-ness of the scene, btw. For me, the biggest draw of this photo is your exposure and how you captured the light of the ceiling structure and walls, yet you sorta feel like you are lurking in the shadows trying to "capture a stranger" or something, and though I can't really see his face, you can just "feel" him taking in the photo -- but up to this point, I haven't really noticed details, like the sign and the absence of his hand. So, I go read posts.

BlueRob is up first and asks what happened to the guy's hand. I think "WHAT?" Since I'm already reading, I keep on. I read jetrim's post, and find myself thinking, "Huh? What does jetrim mean??" WHAT are they talking about?? So, I go look. Sure enough. I'm glad this is just among us -- cause my immediate off-color :blush2: reaction was "No, way. That can't be. WHAT is that?" So I look closer. The guy has both hands.

I get the magnifying glass to really see the details, including trying to read the sign -- which I like -- the sign, that is -- as well as finding a photo interesting enough to make me really look.

So, I wrote a book here to say "Good Job!!":thumbsup:
    Last edited by Shebang; 12-07-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thread Information