ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: tripods?

n8

tripods?

Could someone recommend me a good, but reasonably priced tripod, and by reasonably I mean legs and head for under $200 if possible. I have a fairly new $35 Targus tripod, which didn't take too long to disappoint me. I guess that's what I get considering how much the "real" ones go for at my local camera store. I saw some vanguards there that seemed good.

Re: tripods?

The tripod you need is dependant upon many variables weight of the camera, length of lenses, portability requirements, just to name a few on this site. I would suggest that you read the reviews by members posted in the reviews section and narrow down the field from that.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

n8

I'll check those.
    For the record though, I'm probably looking for something that will hold 30lbs tops...I doubt I would ever have more then my d90(plus batter grip), 18-200, and sb-600, but have more strength then I need.

I find the 'load weight' numbers to be variable to where they don't mean much. The only way is to just try some. To me, the best tripod is the heaviest one that you will take with you. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Buy into a brand with a "modular system", that is, all the parts can mix and match.
    A tripod with a modular system basically consists of the tripod legs and the heads, and an assortment of quick release plates to attach to the camera. In my part of the world, Manfrotto and Gitzo are common brands. For legs, try the 055 and for heads, the 141 classic pan and tilt head. With a "modular system", you can expand your gear in the future without making your old components "orphans" and useless.
    Cheers and good onyas!
    =)

n8

why would I need an assortment of release plates?

Aah!... I mean several, not assortments. You can swap in several cameras over the tripod each one having the QR size plate. Back in the film days, cameras with B&W, coloured negs, and transparencies were swapped over a tripod. These days, I see pros swap wide angle and telephoto. It beats changing lenses. Cheers

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thecounsel
    why would I need an assortment of release plates?
    You will want a release plate on your camera body, and on your lens if it will take one. That way you don't have to move your QR plate if you switch your gear.

Speaking of QR plates, look at the different systems available. I'm currently using the Bogen QR2 plates. They have worked very well for me, but I wish I would have gone with the Arca Swiss style system. I think it's a much better designed system. Now it would cost me a couple hundred bucks to switch everything over.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Don't get ProMaster. I paid about $150 for ltri-legs/mono-pod/head and I am not especially happy, the head is wobbly and the plate release mechanism is clumsy. Maybe that's what you get for $150, but I expected more.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

To me, the best tripod is the heaviest one that you will take with you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    I find the 'load weight' numbers to be variable to where they don't mean much. The only way is to just try some. To me, the best tripod is the heaviest one that you will take with you. - TF

Agreed!!!

I have a tripod that weighs five pounds, plus a ball head, and I have carried it up and down mountians. It was a minor inconvenience to have a stable platform to shoot from!

If you have deep pockets, a carbon fiber tripod is a stable, lightweight option.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information