Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

In the dark river reflection

I shot these last night on the North Fork of the American River. I had to play around with different lighting tools and camera settings to get any shot at all. 4-20 million candlepower floodlights placed 1/4 mile behind me, a slight glimmer form the 1/4 moon, and a combination of the eight lights mounted on my jeep is what I used for lighting. The fog was rolling into the canyon as I was setting up and made for a little more challenging capture.I was looking for a soft focus night shot. But as usual I'm not happy with them..another re-shoot..No complaints..I don't mind at all What do ya think?

Thanks for any advice or critiques..

In the dark river reflection-1.jpg

In the dark river reflection-2.jpg

In the dark river reflection-3.jpg

Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Re: In the dark river reflection

some cool colors, but it looks a bit too over-processed to me. it may also just be how the uploaded versions are showing up on my computer but they seem a bit too blurry in areas that shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by danpics
    some cool colors, but it looks a bit too over-processed to me. it may also just be how the uploaded versions are showing up on my computer but they seem a bit too blurry in areas that shouldn't be.
    Its not your computer.. Trying to get focus correct was killing me with the no/low light. When I sharpen them in processing..it just doesn't look right..Back to the drawing boards Thanks for the comment..

Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

I like #1. I find your composition pleasing. Though the color may be over-saturated, I have a tendency to favor that in varying degrees. The one thing that does bother me about #1 is the ray/flare things somewhat, but I would even like that if there were just more detail in that big, blah hill.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

I agree they are soft, the first one is my favorite by a lot, enough going on to keep my eye, great composition and angling. I'm not sure if the first is soft or if thats just strong image grain. Try ISO 200-400 with a tripod.

*Edit - scratch that, I checked exif - ISO 800 at THIRTY SIX SECONDS! Woah, must have been about pitch black there, the image grain must be long exposure grain then. Considering that, I think the only thing you could possibly do to do any better would be to get a lens with a much wider aperture, that shot at 17mm, get something around 20mm at f/2 or faster. Can't really critique on this considering you did everything you could possibly do for the shot.

Have you tried to just set your widest lenses to an aperture that will allow hyperfocal focusing and eyeball the distance to place your foreground? might make things easier

Thread Information