Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Opinions on GE cameras??

Hello everyone, I'm the new guy with a few questions.

Anyhoo for the past few days I've been trying to find a descent "Point And Shoot" that I can carry with me where ever I go but I'm not really sure what the best camera is for my use.

Here are my requirements.

-At least a 5x Optical zoom.

-Runs on "AA" batterys.

-Small enough to carry on my belt.

-I would like it to be at least 10MP

I found a lot of cameras that find the bill but the kicker is that my budget is
    only $100.

Yesterday I was in a Wally World that is not my local store and they had a GE
    "WM1050"(I'm betting that it is a wal-mart only deal since it is in a bister pack) for $89.00 that seems to be everything that I'm looking for so I went ahead and bought it since I was not sure if my local store has it.

Now before I use this thing to the point that I can't return it I was wondering what is everyones opinion is on GE cameras? I don't know enough about cameras to know if this thing is any good or not.

What else is out there for $100?

Thank you for your time,
    Mike.

Re: Opinions on GE cameras??

i have never used a GE camera and i've never actually seen one in person. before your time to return the camera runs out you should do a google search with the make and model and look for reviews of the camera. i would read at least half a dozen form major websites before you decide if it's worth keeping.

at the walmart in my town (it's canadian, so they might carry different cameras. there are no GE cameras here) there is a fuji camera for only $80 cdn. but it only has 3x optical. i think you might have a tough time finding a $100 or less camera with 5x optical. most of the ones i've seen in that range only have 3x, maybe 4.

Re: Opinions on GE cameras??

I have some limited experience with GE cameras. They have a good pedigree, with the main execs having come from Olympus. My impressions of the cameras are based on using one loaner for a few weeks and seeing them at tradeshows. Camera features and specs are solid and they are handsome cameras. The one area where they suffer a bit is image quality. I did not think they were competitive as far as image quality goes. However, image quality of all digital cameras has improved enough in the past few years that I doubt that's a real problem - especially with your budget. So if you like the camera, its feature serve your needs and it doesn't hurt you financially, I say shoot and enjoy
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information