Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

D70s exposure problem with VR lenses

Hello, everyone. This is my first post in the forums.

I'm a long-term but pretty casual user of SLR equipment. I used to use 35mm cameras but switched to digital a while back. I have a problem that I suspect is one of those dead-simple user errors but, for the life of me, I cannot figure out the answer. I hope someone here will be able to say "Hey, dummy! Here's what you need to do!"

I have a Nikon D70s, which I've enjoyed quite a lot. A while back, I purchased two new lenses:

* Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR lens
    * Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR lens

I have the same problem with both lenses. If I set an exposure manually, then all is wonderful and I get really good results. (OK, when I set the exposure correctly... :blush2 But if I use any of the automatic exposure modes on the camera, it will choose an exposure that is waaaaaay too dark. This is so consistent with both lenses that I assume that I'm missing something really fundamental.

Please help!

Thanks,
    Brian

Re: D70s exposure problem with VR lenses

I forgot to mention: I do not have any problems in any of the automatic exposure modes (aperture priority, shutter priority, etc.) with any other lens -- just with the two VR lenses.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I just want to say welcome to the forums and I have no idea but somebody will soon show up that does.
    Do you know anyone else with a Nikon dslr? Maybe you could ask them to try the lenses on their camera and see if they get the same results.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

This is the first time I have heard of this. I cannot think of anything that you might have done to cause VR lenses to underexpose.

As two lenses have the same problem then it is likely that the cause is your camera body. Two extra contacts were added for VR lenses (though recent lenses have them as well). Check that all the contacts on your camera body are clean and unobscured.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thank you. I will check that.

Thread Information