Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: High Voltage

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

High Voltage

We had a really nice light show Sunday night so I decided to try to get some images. This is one of my favorites. Here is a gallery to a few more images from Sunday night.

Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: High Voltage

Nice image Mike!

You must have had the shutter open for a while, either that it was a very intense storm

Dale
    Dale J. Martin
    website http://massapoag.org

Great shot!

Dale, the EXIF information (obtained w/ a Firefox addon) says this was a 5 second exposure... so there was just a lot of lightning I guess.
    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lang

flickr

Wow. Awesome shot, Mike. This is something I've never even attempted.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Impressive image. I wish we had more thunder storms around here. Come to think of it, I wish we had rain around here. It hasn't rained in months and the highs have been 105+ every day for well over a month. :cryin:

Btw Mike, beautiful images on your website. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.

CM is correct. This is a 5 second exposure, ISO 400 @ f/5.0. It was a lot of fun, and a little scary at times but well worth it.

Mike, you should give it a try. The hardest part is finding a location where you can get a clear shot of the storm off in the distance, before the rain gets to you. After that the rest is easy. I set the camera up on the tripod, pointed it towards the sky and put it on continuous mode, choose my setting, locked down the trigger on my cable release and went an sat in the truck. I have lots of frames with nothing in them, but quite a few that I would consider "keepers" as well.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Beautiful shot Mike, sounds like you had fun capturing it

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Spectacular work, Mike! Easily some of the best lightening displays I've seen captured.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks Scott and Loupey.

This was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to try it again. I was sitting at home watching a show on the Discovery Channel about lightning and how scientists are using high speed photography to study it. They also had a still photographer on there talking about photographing lightning. That's when I noticed it flashing outside. I was pretty tired, and almost went to bed. Sure glad I put my shoes on and went out to give it a try.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Mouth dropped awe here.

Thanks Cara.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the info, I will try it.
    Later
    Byron

Thanks Paul and Loupey for the Featured Photo!!! We had another storm roll through yesterday but no lighting. I did get soaked on my Harley on the way home from work though.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Truly an amazing shot. Have never tried photographing lightning, but would love to try it.

Paul
    Any comments or suggestions gladly welcomed.

Please do not edit or use these photos without permission, thank you

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

That's quite a coincidence to be watching the show and the storm shows up.
    If it helped prompt you, I'm glad it did for a great series of shots with this being the best.
    We seldom see lighting like this. Even where we have open views, which I don't, its usually in the clouds.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Thanks Scott and Loupey.

I was sitting at home watching a show on the Discovery Channel about lightning and how scientists are using high speed photography to study it. They also had a still photographer on there talking about photographing lightning.
    I watched that show earlier this week. It was very interesting. Apparently some lightning travels from the ground up. The photographer they had on there still uses film so he has no idea what if anything he captures until he has the film processed and he sees the prints. Most of the prints have nothing on them, but he's thrilled anytime he gets one good shot.

Wow! Beautiful!!
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Sweet capture! I remember looooong time ago when I was into B&W film and had my own darkroom, I had fun too shooting storms. It is exciting and an open garage facing in the right direction made it dry excitement.
    Walk softly and carry a big lens.

MY WEBSITE ... Quandee Photography

I like Image 9164 quite a bit in your gallery, also if you clone out the tree in 9237, I think I'd like it more than the photo of the week image here. Either way, great color and excellent series. Too dry in CA (southern) to really be able to find any good light shows like this (sigh). Jealous, but very happy for you.

Carl
    My 'new' signature:

Stay focused.
    www.photographic-central.blogspot.com

My old signature:

"Experience, is the reward worth living for"
    www.AlphaMountWorld.com

Thanks for looking and commenting everyone.

Carl, the other 2 photos you mentioned are the only 2 photos, besides the one posted above, from this series that I printed. (I left the tree.) I actually like the color of those images in the final print better than the image above. I did rework the above image and will have it reprinted. I also opened up the FG a little bit to show some detail in the flowers at the bottom of the frame.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information