Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    trigger happy geriatric.

Took some shots in the Amble area today

Hope you like them.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took some shots in the Amble area today-boats1.jpg   Took some shots in the Amble area today-boats-side.jpg   Took some shots in the Amble area today-drinking-fountain.jpg   Took some shots in the Amble area today-harbour.jpg   Took some shots in the Amble area today-harbour2.jpg  

Re: Took some shots in the Amble area today

I like the last two quite a lot, the second to last being my favorite of the lot. The only thing that bothers me in that one is the cut-off boats on the left, which you could clone out. The only thing that bothers me in the last one is the blown-out highlights, which one could fix in RAW or Lightroom.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Hi Dave,
    I'm going to say I like the scene of images #4, #5 the best. Regarding image 4- the right side seems to cut this in half with the composition chosen here.Try this at a different angle or take two shots, stitch them for a great pano..I do like the line of the boats that leads out to that congested traffic jamb. :O)

First,thing I noticed about image #5 was the horizon...it appears that it's not level.As a compositional suggestion it would be an improvement to have a foreground element.Maybe a dock, or a railing present to help to frame this.Great relections / texture on the water.
    Experiment every angle. :O) Just my thoughts.

With regards,
    Rick

trigger happy geriatric.

Many thanks for the opinions. I'll take another look at the composition and see if a little cropping and straightening might help.

Dave

trigger happy geriatric.

I tried to clone out some elements as suggested.

I have to say, I'm not really an expert with Paint Shop Pro, but I tried to clone out the boats in the top right hand side of the composition. See what you think?

I checked the horizon, and to be honest, I'm not too sure about it not being level. I will happily stand to be corrected though....

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took some shots in the Amble area today-harbour-1.jpg  

Dave, I definitely like the last two as well. Your edit is very nice. Removing those boats really does make a difference. I really like all the different colours that are present in both images.

The first two of the boats in dry dock. I don't know what it is but they look like toys to me. Can't figure out why though.

The middle one - interesting structure, but I think there is too much greenery and there is that big black space just behind to the left.
    DISCLAIMER: I am just a newbie. If I comment on your image I am only stating what I like and/or see. Otherwise, I have little technical knowledge to contribute.

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

here is what I see in all of them:
    #1. that red and white boat seams to be blown out in the whites,
    #2. Same thing it just over powers the other boats in the picture,
    and talk about being a low tide.
    #3. Maybe re-shoot it and try over exposing the blackness under the trees to bring them out and merging that into the previous photo.
    #4.Has potential, would try other angles to it.
    #5 look like there is too much sky, also would like to see this one on a wider view.

trigger happy geriatric.

Hiya Icicle,

I took a look at the raw images and developed them slightly differently and the information in the whites is there. I suspect I gave it too much contrast.

Dave

trigger happy geriatric.

sorry about that
    Last edited by Dave6223; 08-09-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: oops, posted twice

Thread Information