Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Las Vegas Retro

Las Vegas Retro

I had to go down to the wedding chapel for an after hours meeting tonight and on the way out I decided to catch the hotel sign next door.

Unfortunately I couldn't find my tripod mounting plate and had to use my really really really cheapo tripod to hold my camera. So there is a bit of motion induced blur that I magnified a bit in post to funkify the image.

mbb

Re: Las Vegas Retro

I like the colors and the angle, but I think it would have been a better shot if the M in Motel hadn't been cut off, and there was some space between the sign and the tower. Could you have taken a higher shot and eliminated most of the "lower rates" sign? It kinda kills the mood, if you know what I mean.

I do enjoy the shot overall, also agree with JonW's thoughts. Especially the Fixed Lower Rates sign, that kind of spoils it. But without it in the picture, you couldn't get that cool [no] VACANCY sign under it, which is tres cool and adds to the overall retro-ness feel. Too bad you couldn't white-out that whole sign and put your own words in there LOL

A slightly uncropped version. ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Las Vegas Retro-yuccahotellasvegas2009-1.jpg  

I got out and shot again after work last night. This time I was using my new Giottos tripod with a nice burly ball head. I'm thinking I want to get out and shoot a lot of the old strip neon signs (and some of the new retro signs).

Last night it was rather hazy, so I amplified it a bit in Photoshop -- since there wasn't anything else in the sky. Maybe a sunset shot would be cool. ;)

mbb

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Looks real good, totally '50's retro,Matt.
    I'm liking the atmosphere, the great tilt.You did well exposing this in difficult lighting.What happened on the "a" of yucca? The timing of the car headlights adds more lightplay detail as well.
    Nice work. :thumbsup:

Rick

Just Lurking

Matt,

You've got a pretty cool subject with some very interesting lighting. Unfortunately, I think that big square of white (Fixed Lower Rates) really draws the eye and overpowers the rest of the shot. I would try this at twilight so there's still some light in the sky, but still have the lights on. I also like the angle from the first better than the second.

PC

Second shot is far better. I can't comment on the color as my laptop is horrible, but composition is excellent. Still too bad that fixed rates sign doesn't say something more interesting, but at the same time it really fits the recession mood of Las Vegas right now.

Quote Originally Posted by starriderrick
    Looks real good, totally '50's retro,Matt.
    I'm liking the atmosphere, the great tilt.You did well exposing this in difficult lighting.What happened on the "a" of yucca? The timing of the car headlights adds more lightplay detail as well.
    Nice work. :thumbsup:

Rick

I think the "a" must be new neon and transformer -- it is quite a bit brighter than the rest.

mbb

Matt, that last shot is excellent. I agree with PC about the white sign stealing a lot of attention but as ridgetop pointed out it really speaks of the hard times there these days and for that adds much. I also think that the tilt and the overall balance in composition here is perfect. Shooting at a time while there is still a bit of illumination in the sky might make this even better, but I feel what you have here now is very good.
    I might consider reducing the brightness or exposure a bit in pp as there is noise in the sky coming about. I think what is lit up already is enough.
    This is very good.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 08-17-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured photo. August 17, 2009
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Well said,Gary... Matt,Congratulations on the Featured Photo.

Rick

Congrats on the sticky
    Troy

Thread Information