Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Southern comfort

Suggestions for improving this? Already corrected color cast, desaturated slightly, minor soft focus effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern comfort-southern_comfort1.jpg  

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Southern comfort

I like this and the mood it sets.
    My only suggestion is, even though I do like it dard at the bottom, to try to bring the shadowed areas out a little more. Not too much but just enough to make one want to look into those dark areas some.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

A dark silouhette on the bed would be nice and add a story..

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I like this and the mood it sets.
    My only suggestion is, even though I do like it dard at the bottom, to try to bring the shadowed areas out a little more. Not too much but just enough to make one want to look into those dark areas some.
    Frog, I'd like you to try something. By either moving your head or the monitor, orient your eyes so they are viewing the screen from a 30-45 degree angle, and see if you discover the extra detail in the bottom you were looking for. I was all set to write a long response quoting "the clown inside" thread and monitor calibration, etc. etc. This attached image IS darker than the original overall - darker than in PSP, windows, and print (it is not my imagination, I've cross checked). But I dropped something on the floor and when I leaned over to grab it I noticed the brightness changed when viewed from an angle. I don't know what it means, and I don't know if it's just my monitor or LCDs in general but this only seems to make a difference when dark nuance in a shot is critcal to it's success or failure. Very baffling though...

I do agree that the image as it shows here on PR is too dark.

I gave it a try and could see a bit more detail but not much.
    I've noticed the brightness change on some of the photos I've uploaded here too so I bet it is right until uploaded.
    I looked in your gallery but the image there is about the same size. Would you mind putting a larger one in there. I think a larger size would also bring out the dark areas more.
    I really like this picture.
    Keep Shooting!

Before I try uploading a large size file, here's an 800px that's had a brightness bump of 25
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern comfort-southern_comfort3.jpg  

I also see no little or no detail in the lower part on either version, but note that Frog and I often make the same comment on the same photos. I was the one that did the "clown" test, so understand the difficulty of posting photos where a narrow light/dark viewing range is required. I can see considerably more detail when looking at the monitor from an angle - I have noticed this before and, also, do not know what this means. I calibrate with a Spyder2. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I haven't calibrated in a while so that may be it.
    I opened it in pse 6 and was able to adjust it by lightening shadows and then darkening the highlights a little. Your 800 does show more detail but my edit actually showed folds in the blankets off the side of the bed but didn't change the effect of the pic.....at least I didn't think so.
    The main thing is if it is right for you.
    Keep Shooting!

Well we'll try one last time to see if I can show you what I'm seeing. Shadows boosted an additional 35 and highlights cut by 20...
    This is slightly more yellow and some of the shadow detail at the top is gone, but it's close (at least you can make out the nightshirt laying across the pillow).

That's closer to what I saw with an edit. Lot more detail. Now probably too much for you.
    Still love the shot.
    Keep Shooting!

Coming from a woman’s point of view, how ever I am a no body house wife who is new and just starting but that last picture seems to up set the mood? Seems too bright to me. It took out some of the romance.

I can now see that there are things laying on and hanging over the side of the bed. Also, I can see shimmering of knobs/details on the front of the piece of furniture in the lower left.

btw - I do like all the shots, but prefer the second.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Terry, the original intent was somewhere between the second and third shot so I'm glad to hear you liked the second.

Fucia, welcome to the forums and thanks for your candid feedback, sometimes we get so caught up in the technical side, that we stop looking at things as *regular folks* do. For what it's worth that old time romantic feel was what I was going for, so your comments definitely helped

Frog, always appreciate your thoughtful input!

Hexnut, a dark silhouette would certainly be cool but as this is a 1930s plantation home turned museum, I don't think they'd be too keen on me tossing models up on their antique bed :lol:

Thread Information