Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    The Randomist

sunset/night shot + HDR version

i took these shots about 2 weeks ago. i had noticed the fog over the lake and decided to go down to see if i could get a few pictures. so these ended up being taken from the dock beside a lake-side hotel.

i took a few with different compostions, and overall i prefer the vertical pics. but i definitely welcome feedback on any of the shots.

i've just started messing around with HDR pictures, so i threw in an HDR version of one of the shots for good measure.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: sunset/night shot + HDR version

I like your 2nd image the best out of this group. I think the first image is really nice, but for me, the fog gets kind of lost in the back ground. I really like the light on the doc in the 2nd image, and the fog is much more noticeable in the BG. I like the idea of not cutting off the mast of the boats in the 3rd image, but I don't like the empty space at the bottom of the frame. The HDR image is interesting, but it looks too overdone for my tastes.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Mike said exactly what I was going to say before I read his post.
    Two and three are very similar except for the masts but the light and color seem better in two for some reason.
    I've noticed that sailboats are difficult to photograph because of their masts going off frame.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

The Randomist

the second was is my favourite as well. and i tend to favour the surreal-type HDRs with somewhat overdone effects. i know a lot of people prefer the realistic type, but it's not for me.

GB1

I really like the mood of these. I think that they're well executed but that the composition isn't strong enough to really rate them too high. There's a lot of things happening at different angles and such, and it's just hard to get shots of sailboats in crowded marinas to work (I know - I've tried a number of times). I love that small light though, and the way it's color works against the blue. The HDR rocks btw!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I also prefer the second image here. There is a good mood captured in these and the low late evening lighting was exposed just right.
    the HDR has a cool illusrtated look about it, but loses much of the mood that really draws me in to the others.
    Very nice work
    Last edited by gahspidy; 06-29-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. June 28th, 2009
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

The Randomist

cool! thanks for the sticky and feature!

i know some of you weren't totally impressed with these shots, but the one that got the feature is actually one of my favorite pictures that i've taken, mostly because that kind of weather rarely happens where i live and i was lucky to even get the shot.

thanks again!

I like the third one pretty well. I think it completes it better with the mast in full view.

I prefer the second image over the others. Nice work.

Where is it in BC, if you don't mind me asking?

The Randomist

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Where is it in BC, if you don't mind me asking?
    it's in Nelson, kind of in the south-east corner of BC.

Hey Random, My first post on this forum and your HDR caught my eye. I too tend to err on the extreme side of HDR however I like to try and keep some semblence of what the shot is all about. Your HDR shot seems to have lost a bit of that in my eye...for instance, the mooring posts in front of the boats tend to look like they are floating in mid air...if we had not seen the previous shots this would hafve struck me as something like Salvatore would have done....i guess that in itself would class as a compliment It just seems to me that you have lost some of the intent in HDR...in that it is used mianly to bring out the finer details...this shot seems to have added detail that was not there in the initial shot.

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Thread Information