Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>
    Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Sell (2) D2h & 1 D200 body for another D300?

I recently picked up a D300 to use mostly as a portrait/wedding body but also as a backup for sports. I used it at a MTB race a couple weeks ago & fell in love with it for sports. Now I'm debating on whether I should sell some of my current gear to fund a 2nd D300.

Here is a list of what I'd be selling:

2 D2h bodies that are well loved, and some dings/brassing. I have 4 batteries & 2 chargers, so I'd either split them up evenly or sell all in one batch. Other accessories include a box & manuals for one.

1 D200 body, that is in new/like new condition. Since its been my portrait/wedding body its been clean & well taken care of.

Some pros of the D2h bodies is I use them for sports only, and for my freelance job I shoot jpg, my won I shoot raw. Those 4mp raw files are nice little files & don't take up much hard drive space. Depending on the situation I love the noise of ISO 800 -1200. For the most part I don't shoot that high though. Cons are the higher ISO isn't that great it most situations.

The D200 I love, but I don't see a need for having a D200 & 2 D300 bodies. Plus the extra $$ I'd get from it would be about enough to cover the purchase.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Re: Sell (2) D2h & 1 D200 body for another D300?

I wouldn't recommend getting a second identical DSLR, unless you really just seriously need a backup. If I were you, I'd recommend one of 3 choices: Get a D90 as a light weight travel body, that will deliver basically the same IQ as your D300, although at slightly slower burst rates and with somewhat simplified AF. Keep your D200 as a second body - they are plenty fast and plenty rugged, they just lack the high ISO performance of the D300 and D90.

Or, splurge on a D700. It can still shoot in high speed crop mode at essentially the same speeds as a D300, although you're getting 6 MP images in that mode. And take advantage of the spectacular high ISO performance of this body.

If it were me, I'd get the D90. If it were me and I won the lottery or just got an inheritance, I'd get the D700. But then again, I'm not shooting sports professionally.

What rules the D90 out for me is the other D300 would be is the lower FPS as this will also be used as a sports camera. Also I would have to buy a few SD cards as well.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    What rules the D90 out for me is the other D300 would be is the lower FPS as this will also be used as a sports camera. Also I would have to buy a few SD cards as well.
    Well, for $50, you could get a handful of 4 to 8 GB SD cards. But I can appreciate it if a 4.5 FPS camera is not fast enough for your application. As I said, I don't shoot sports professionally, so I can certainly defer to your understanding of your own needs.

What is it that you like about the D300 for sports? I can think of several possibilities compared with your other material:

- wide-area 51 point autofocus system
    - better high ISO performance
    - 12Mpix

If it's the autofocus system - which I find to be very good - that combination of 51 zones covering most of the field is only available on the D300. The D3/D3x and D700 have the same system but concentrated in the middle. The D90 has the same 11-point system as the D200.

The D300 has been out for almost 18 months now, which probably means there's a new camera coming out in the next 6 months or so. If you're in no hurry it might be interesting to wait for a while.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

There is a few things I like better about the D300 over both the D200 & D2h. The huge LCD screen is very nice, especially over my D2h. The AF on the 300 is fantastic. At the bike race I shot the only OOF images I had were user error (aka forgetting where I set the AF point).

After thinking about it today and getting an offer for one of my D2h bodies I think what I'm going to do is:

- Sell the better D2h
    - Pick up the D300 battery grip plus 1-2 EN-EL4 batteries. My current ones are old, and I'd be able to use those batteries in the D300 & D2h.
    - Keep D2h #2 and use it for my freelance job since those 4mp D2h files are a good size for them. It would also be kept as a backup body in case I need one, or to lend to a photog who is starting out & learning.

That should hold me over til hopefully sept/oct and I'll see if any new bodies have come out or have been announced which should lower the current price of the D300.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information