Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Eastern Kingbird

Pretty sure that's what it is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eastern Kingbird-img_2315_small.jpg   Eastern Kingbird-img_2318_small.jpg  
    Walk softly and carry a big lens.

MY WEBSITE ... Quandee Photography

Re: Eastern Kingbird

The second one looks great !

How did you shoot that one?

Thanks!

ISO 800
    ss 1000
    f/8
    Handheld
    70-300 Canon lens at 300

Quote Originally Posted by SARtech
    Thanks!

ISO 800
    ss 1000
    f/8
    Handheld
    70-300 Canon lens at 300
    Thanks for the techs info !

But, I meant to ask you how you photographed it. Like: Did you pre-focus and wait then fire a series of shots to hopefully catch the bird in at least one of the frames? Or, you panned and tracked? You pointed your camera at the bird and waited, when you saw it take off (the bird in your photograph looks like it just took off from its perch I could be wrong though ) you pressed the shutter bird? Or, you were just lucky that you just fired, didn't even look and had no idea where you pointed your camera, and you got the bird?

Still, a very good capture in my book!

Oh!
    Yup... same bird and I had the camera on him and waited for him to take off, then just shot a few. He sort of crouches a tiny bit right before take off if you know what I mean. Luckily, he pretty much took off straight sideways and I got lucky. That's usually how I get any good shots. LUCK. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SARtech
    Oh!
    He sort of crouches a tiny bit right before take off if you know what I mean. Luckily, he pretty much took off straight sideways and I got lucky. That's usually how I get any good shots. LUCK. LOL
    So you saw it crouches ? Good ! Yeah, the birds can fly but still have to crouch and push off with their legs to take off. Usually it is very difficult to detect in small birds like a chickadee (at least I can't :blush2: ) as the bird is so small and the push-off only takes so tiny little a movement from the bird and everything happens lightning fast. Easier to detect in bigger birds like a great blue heron. Looks like you have very good reflex, which is good for shooting flight shots

Ya... with a bird this size it was only a fraction of a second, but apparently enough to get a shot. (Started shooting as soon as I saw that) I knew he'd go to my right also because he could really go to the left unless he also went straight up. When I've attempted this before, they are usually out of focus because they didn't fly straight sideways like this guy and my lens couldn't focus fast enough I guess.

Thread Information