Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Hot pixels on Canon PowerShot SX110 IS

Just got an SX110 IS and while testing it out, I've noticed two hot pixels (showing redish in dark areas of the image) on images shot in very low light with 1 second exposures. Perhaps the most annoying thing is that when looking at the LCD in some indoor lighting situations you can see one of the hot pixels. Once you hold the button down half way and focus, it goes away.

I've done a fair amount of looking and it seems hot pixels are fairly common. I go back and forth as to whether I should exchange it and see if the next one is better. It does seem that if you do exposures longer than 1 second (1.4 at least) it will map out the hot pixels. This is pretty cool. Again, the most annoying thing is seeing it there on the LCD in some cases.

Thanks for any advice.
    shogun_220

Re: Hot pixels on Canon PowerShot SX110 IS

If it's brand new yes return or exchange it. But if you have had it for some time then it becomes a warranty issue. But if the hot pixel(s) only shows up on long exposures, turn on the noise reduction exposure (this depends on the camera and what they call it) and if the hot pixel(s) go away then it's a mute point. (just remember you have to prove the hot pixels to the management of the store).
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information