Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Tripod Manfrotto 458B vs Manfrotto 055Xprob

Hi

I've been reading some reviews on both tripods, and I can't still quite decide which one to buy.

the difference is about $100, but the 458B is heavier and i'm not sure about durability. the 055Xprob is lighter but not as fast to set up as the 458B.

can anyone help me out?

Cheers
    Manuel

Re: Tripod Manfrotto 458B vs Manfrotto 055Xprob

Both Manfrotto tripods are durable. It mainly depends on how heavy the camera is. It's always better to over buy on tripod capacity than just meeting your weight requirements. If you buy that heavy dream telephoto lens, which now your camera & lens is now to heavy for your tripod to hold study.

Also there is something to be said about ease of setup. If it takes to long to setup you could miss the shot.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I test drove both and bought the 055Xprob

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Both Manfrotto tripods are durable. It mainly depends on how heavy the camera is. It's always better to over buy on tripod capacity than just meeting your weight requirements. If you buy that heavy dream telephoto lens, which now your camera & lens is now to heavy for your tripod to hold study.

Also there is something to be said about ease of setup. If it takes to long to setup you could miss the shot.
    I really like the concept of the Neotec legs. I wanted a quick release leg that I could raise and lower quickly. What I found, though, was that too much pressure on the top of the leg or near the joint, could force it to collapse unexpectedly. I didn't feel comfortable since my camera would be on there. If a store near you that sells them, see if you can play with one on the floor and look for that. Maybe I was just abusing it.

I've had the 055xprob legs for about a year in combination with the 486RC2 ball head. I like the flexibility of the tripod. I can set it to just about any angle--allthough, you quickly learn that a 2 inch profile is not acceptable in most public venues. ;-) It requires about a 6' radius. The quick releases can be a little stiff and I've found a few complaints about this online. Most owners stated they had to adjust the tension the release would flip out easier.

Hope that helps.

I still like the idea of a quick release mechanism that I could operate by squeezing a spring, sliding the leg, then releasing my grip to have it lock into place; but you'd still have the issue of only being able to adjust one leg at a time, so... I need more arms like this dude.

Thread Information