Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

High School Track

My son has recently started his Junior year in track and his first year on the varsity squad. He throws the discus and shot put. I usually will capture some track action in between his throws. Here are some shots from his most recent meet.

He added 7 feet to his personal best on this throw and ended up taking 3rd place with a throw of 131 feet.

For the shot put he added 1 foot to her personal best and threw 42 feet. He didn't place on this event.

While we were waiting from my son to start his shot put throws I went to the opposite end of the field and got there just as they were finishing the boys varsity high jump and girls varsity pole vaulters.

I need to give a little background on the next two shots. This young lady best was 10 feet and she just increased that to 10 1/2. On this jump she was attempting 11 feet. Her motivation was the $100 her dad was going to give her if she made it.

I think this picture tells you that she cleared it. Once she made the jump she jumped off the mat and jumped into her dad's arms.

Thanks for taking a peak.
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Re: High School Track

Nice stuff. I can't wait to get back out to the track. I always enjoy shooting track and field. There are so many great expressions and poses. Love that second shot of your son.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

The first four of your son appear to lack contrast as the colors look subdued. Unless, of course, the color of his uniform is that way. The action in all of the snaps is good and I really like the high jump and pole vault images - very nicely done. The "in the moment" shot at the end is a nice cap to all of the snaps.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

I agree with fidgety. But I really like the last one with her hugging her dad. If I were her dad, I would really want this one. This is sharp and well timed.

Great job.

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Love the last shot too really great in the moment capture. Like the complete series, congrats. S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Thread Information