Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Fire Engine Red

Fire Engine Red

Stumbled on this old fire truck rusting away in a parking lot on the way home. Any processing / compositional thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire Engine Red-fire_truck1.jpg   Fire Engine Red-fire_truck20_2.jpg   Fire Engine Red-fire_engine42_2.jpg  

GB1

Re: Fire Engine Red

Good find Jet. I'll take the top one, though the saturation looks a tad bit intense and the composition is not 'perfect', as it seems conflicting somehow with various angles and objects competing for attention. However, that adds energy too, imo. I think I would actually crop a tad off the bottom.

-G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks GB,
    Funny about the saturation, because I never touched it! The PP on the top shot was 2 layers. Bottom layer was infrared film conversion (75% intensity) the top was set to overlay blend mode in the original color and then soft focused. I did dodge/burn the line where the fender meets the hood, so it wasn't totally obscured. As for cropping, I thought about it too and instinct is telling me to take it up to where the chrome mirror support crosses the fender. This might eliminate at least one of those conflicting lines you spoke of. Is that about what you had in mind?

G'day Jet.

This a very pleasent meeting ... but I'm sorry to be so slow.

How cool is this? ... you sly old dog! (I hope that this level of friendship translates nicely).

I love the shot ... as you well know.

Too tricky for words!

Warren.

The third one has a nice mixture of hues and texture, that's my fav. out of the bunch. That one is the most pleasing to me. nice shots.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    Thanks GB,
    As for cropping, I thought about it too and instinct is telling me to take it up to where the chrome mirror support crosses the fender. This might eliminate at least one of those conflicting lines you spoke of. Is that about what you had in mind?
    Hmm. I can see where that would help in that respect, but then you would lose that nice number. Here's what I was thinking.. It's a toss up, actually.

These pix look like Fuji film btw, very bright and colorful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire Engine Red-fire_truck1_gbedit1.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thanks Liban I used the emboss/overlay method on the third one to amplify the colors and textures of the dashboard. It's painted silver, but this gives it a feeling of chrome.

Warren, I have a couple more to process, I'll post 'em at DA - hope you're not as rusty and beat up as this thing was

GB, I like your crop, but on the final, I took it just a smidgen lower to the point where the hood line meets the fender line, eliminating that small cross brace, but just barely. Looks like we were thinking alike

Thread Information