Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

California Big Horn

Took this shot on Sunday - Nikon D300, 70-200mm F2.8

Have been playing with the Crop and wanted to get the groups advice - the first one the Ram is centered - second off the right, like he's entering the frame.

as always thoughts and suggestions most welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails California Big Horn-dsc_7639-1a.jpg   California Big Horn-dsc_7639-2a.jpg  

Re: California Big Horn

Great capture!

This is a great example of how much a subtle crop change can alter the underlying feel of the photograph (in this case, the *mood* of the subject). In the first version, the sheep appears to be on the defensive, like it has 90% of its mind made up that its about to bolt out of the frame into the sage. In the second crop, it appears to have more potential to be aggressive, like it hasn't quite decided whether it wants to bolt or charge and test its horns on your camera. I think both work, but it depends on what you want to convey. I personally prefer the first version.

Kentucky Wildlife

That's a good piece of work, because I know that with a 200mm, you had to get pretty close, and that's not easy. Both crops are fine, but I think each of them could be improved by cropping from the bottom, to the bottom of his hindmost hove, and leaving more head space.
    I'll bet he did bolt the second after you snapped this frame.
    Personally, I think you would have had a marketable image, if you had captured this ram when it wasn't looking at you. I know a lot of the people here want animals looking directly into the camera, but for the outdoor and wildlife magazines I submit to, an animal looking blankly directly into the camera smacks of zoos, parks and other semi-domesticated environments. Candid, wild shots of wildlife is mostly what sells. I'm telling you this because I think you have the ability and the opportunity to make a little change from your photography. Good shots of Bighorn Sheep are relatively rare.

The second one seems a little more dynamic.

maddawg,

wonderful capture of a very illusive subject. I live near the Anza-Borrego Desert where there are supposedly hundreds of big horn sheep roving the mountains. I have only seen evidence of them, never seen one live. I prefer the first capture, with the sheep off center and prefer the animal looking directly at the camera. How much pp did you do as the colors seem a bit flat. The green of the shrubs is more teal blue than green. Otherwise, I like this shot very much.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Thread Information