Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

C-PL Circular Polarizer CPL Full Time for Outdoor shots

Since there's not a lot of filters recommended for the dSLR does your C-PL Circular Polarizer filter stay on the lens you use outdoors?

2nd question:
    Dust dust and more dust...It just drives me crazy the amount of dust my lens or filter collects just walking thru the woods. What's your secret to keep dust at bay?

thanks for your time...
    -Bob
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 02-04-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: C-PL Circular Polarizer CPL Full Time for Outdoor shots

No, my polarizer does not stay on my lens at all times. I only put it on when I want to use it.

To battle dust, I keep a rocket blower in my camera bag with me. I give the front element a couple blasts of air and I'm good to go. Keeping the lens cap on until you're ready to shoot will also help to keep the dust off of the front element, but that may not be convenient.

This is the blower I use.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Blower_.html
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

A polarizer is a very specialized tool. I probably use mine once or twice a year and I don't shoot landscapes.

As for dust - here in the Midwest it is not really a problem so I can hike all day with no lens cap, no filter and still not have to brush it off. Granted I always keep the lens angled slightly downwards when carrying it. Even with snow I don't usually have a problem as long as I'm using a lens hood - I just have to remember to knock the snow that accumulates on the inside of the hood.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks Loupey and Mike,

[best Reagan voice] Well...There I go again , doing it all wrong. [/best Reagan voice] ;-)

I was under the impression when shooting outdoors the C-PL would increase contrast[usually a plus], clear the blue haze[UV], Increase the sky saturation, stop stray reflections[like on water], and keep your primary lens safe and clean.
    All these seem to be good reason to use the C-PL most of the time...

More info please...

Mike, if you get back to this thread. I have a LensPen do you prefer the Blower?
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 02-04-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

I have never used a LensPen so I don't know how it compares to the blower. If I don't have the blower with me, I will use my shirt to wipe off the dust if it needs it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Singletracklovr
    I was under the impression when shooting outdoors the C-PL would increase contrast[usually a plus], clear the blue haze[UV], Increase the sky saturation, stop stray reflections[like on water], and keep your primary lens safe and clean.
    All these seem to be good reason to use the C-PL most of the time...
    It does some of those things...but at a tremendous cost (up to 1 1/2 ~ 2 stops of light). If you want the very best, cleanest image that your lens can produce, shoot it straight (nothing in front or behind it).

Also, if you flip your camera from vertical to horizontal format (and vice versa), the polarizer must be reset.

Lastly, because the exposure changes as you turn the filter, this can be very difficult to compensate for if one sets the exposure manually.

Most people use a polarizer to produce deeper blue skies. If you know in which direction to shoot your subject, the sky is blue enough.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

A polariser loses too much light (2 stops) for me to keep it on all the time.
    With wide angle you can get strange sky effects.
    It has maximum effect at 90 degrees from the direction of the sun.
    So it doesn't always work !
    Like Loupey, I too use mine only a few times a year, even if I am shooting landscapes.

Lens cleaning?
    I carry a spudz with me to gently wipe the dust away.
    Other than that I only use lens protection in extremely dusty environments.

I didn't even bother while shooting a rally on chalk, just checked after each batch of cars and brushed the dust off gently. I could have used a blower, but the dust in the air would have been sucked into the blower and I wanted to keep it clean for blowing the sensor dust off (I know, I'm a cheapskate, buy one for the camera bag and one for the sensor).
    I would use a clear (UV) filter for protection at speedway for example. But even there with practice I could go without once I got into the habit of turning away after the bikes pass.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I have never used a LensPen so I don't know how it compares to the blower. If I don't have the blower with me, I will use my shirt to wipe off the dust if it needs it.
    :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
    Do you wear a micro-fibre shirt?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I use mine several times a year when taking landscapes but not always.

If its dusty or raining then I will put a UV on the front to protect the lens so that I then use a microfibre cloth to clean the filter without worrying about scratches.

Otherwise there is nothing on the front.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
    Do you wear a micro-fibre shirt?
    Nope. Usually an old cotton T shirt. The lens is a lot tougher than most people think.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I keep a UV filter on my regular lens, 28-105. It got scratched last year because the lens cap fell off, though fortunately, it doesn't show in any images taken with it. I doubt I'll ever be able to sell it now, though

I'm trying to get into the habit of using the hood for my 20-40 and 70-200 as they are heavier and get bumped more - I guess I'm just clumsy.

I also keep a blower in the bag for quick dust removal. I find using a cloth just moves the dirt around ;-)

Finally, though I like the effect a cpl has for certain scenes/lights, I find it's a paint to adjust properly and frequently wonder if there isn't a better solution. Are there any simple filters that would give the "sunglasses" effect (good colour with reduced harshness in bright light)?

Ta,

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    If I don't have the blower with me, I will use my shirt to wipe off the dust if it needs it.
    Guilty as charged as well

I don't use my polarizer that much, but I seem to be pulling it out more for some portrait images. I do love a portrait with nice rich colors.

To keep dust off my lenses I just hold the camera lens down or have it hanging on my shoulder lens down.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

I can't thank everyone enough for your tips, ideas and input on a subject that most of you are probably tired of discussing,
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Cathathome
    Are there any simple filters that would give the "sunglasses" effect (good colour with reduced harshness in bright light)?

Ta,
    Hi Cath,
    A Neutral Density [ND] or a Warming(81B] filter might work for the sun glass effect. They come is several density level.

Links to ND and 81B
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ng_Filter.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nsity_ND_.html
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

Quote Originally Posted by Singletracklovr
    I can't thank everyone enough for your tips, ideas and input on a subject that most of you are probably tired of discussing,
    -Bob

Hi Cath,
    A Neutral Density [ND] or a Warming(81B] filter might work for the sun glass effect. They come is several density level.

Links to ND and 81B
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ng_Filter.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nsity_ND_.html
    Thanks for the tip!

Actually polarizers give off more of a sunglasses effect than a neutral density, hence the name 'neutral', it does not favor reducing the brightness of any tonal levels. It will simply slow down the exposure 1-3 stops, its only ever practical for achieving particularly slow shutter speeds (for slow shutter effects such as in water falls.) If you want something that looks exactly as sunglasses look, meter your exposure, then put the polarizer on.

I only ever use a polarizer in landscapes, with particularly bright skies or glare filled waters or the sorts. I use my shirt too sometimes, but only on my UV filters, wouldn't do it to my front lens element. I usually actually just ignore dust unless its excessive, it never effects the images.

Also the warming filter works well, but only on film. On digital the camera will just compensate with a warmer white balance... On that note, you could achieve it without the filter by just using a warmer white balance, measure the kelvin then warm it up a few hundred degrees.

I only ever use my blower to clean off my sensor.

Thread Information