Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Ski Racing

Ski Racing

Finally had a day that was not overcast so I got some pics of the ski team I coach.

Any C & C appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ski Racing-20090131_snow-valley_0058.jpg   Ski Racing-20090131_snow-valley_0012.jpg   Ski Racing-20090131_snow-valley_0048.jpg  
    Warren

Canon 7D
    Canon 1D Mark II
    Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8
    Canon 18 - 200 mm IS F3.5 - F5.6
    Canon 70 - 200 mm IS F2.8
    Canon 300 mm 2.8
    Canon Mark II 1.4x, 2x extenders

Feel free to edit my photos.

Excellent!

These are really good. I don't have any criticism to offer - not technically, anyway. The only thing I can think of is that they're pretty standard ski race compositions. I would try looking for more interesting angles. Other than that, they're excellent. Focus and shutter speed looks right on and the eposures are pretty much perfect.

Psyched to see these. I haven't shot any racing yet. I'm kind of jealous because you've got gates to focus on. When you're shooting powder or wide open groomers, sometimes focus can be really, really tricky
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Ski Racing

Fantastic shots. No criticism here either (though down here, we know little a/b snow). I love #1.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

You are right that they are pretty standard. I was a little limited by where I was allowed on the hill. Most of the other spots would have been completely backlit.

I will maybe try shooting from a ridge a little above or from the chairlift next time to see if the shots look a little more interesting.
    Warren

Canon 7D
    Canon 1D Mark II
    Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8
    Canon 300 mm 2.8

I really like how dynamic the first two pics are. Nice deep angles and flying snow - tells me they were bootin' it!

I do find # 1a bit tight in the frame; for all that movement, he doesn't seem to have enough place to go.

Nice shooting!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'd love to have had the chance to shoot these !
    Even though I can't ski, and fell over just jumping on the spot in dry slope ski training.

I agree with Cath, they're all a bit tight. I don't know enough about standard ski race compositions, so John can shoot me down about wanting a wider image

In #2 you can see the motion is across the hill, but in #1 he's coming straight and the snow isn't spraying out far to the left - I don't get the sense of the turn. There is space to move into in the first shot, but the angle of the skier isn't showing that movement.
    Looks to me as if it could have been improved by a shot either from further left, or just a little bit later. But it's likely you'd have to be on the other side of the course, and shooting almost silhouette into the light.

Now in #2 I'd like the whole shot wider. Get all of the outside pole in the shot (#1 could do with that too) and get more of that flying snow too. I feel that gives a balance for even more space to the right to move into.

I love the eyes visible in #3, but she's too tight in the frame again. I like the DoF and background bokeh too, despite what John said about gates to focus on - I think this is the best.
    But you lost the left ski and most of the pole.

Seems you have a problem with things that are on the outside of the turn.
    Are you focussing with the centre AF point, Warren ?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I was using the center AF point. I think the problem was that I should have been using the 70-200mm instead of the 300mm.

I think the 300 was too tight for my position because these are only cropped a small amount. The other lens may have made it easier to not cut off poles, skiis etc.

Here is a shot right after the first one. I managed to not cut anything off in this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ski Racing-20090131_snow-valley_0013.jpg  
    Warren

Canon 7D
    Canon 1D Mark II
    Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8
    Canon 300 mm 2.8

Thread Information