Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Kentucky Wildlife

Doe with firebush behind

This shot that I got a couple of weeks ago I think displays the attributes of spot metering for wildlife photography with long lenses. It was early morning light, and because I metered on the deer, the bushes in the background were overexposed and illuminated like fire. This pix is scheduled for the cover of an outdoor magazine late next summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Doe with firebush behind-doe-fire-bush-behind.jpg  

Re: Doe with firebush behind

Wow, Ron, wow...

Great capture, love the "fire lit" bush in the background, deer's pose, comp, just perfect... I can see why it would be chosen for a magazine cover... :thumbsup:

P.S. Looks pretty sharp considering the lens' max aperture was used.

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.D.A.
    W I can see why it would be chosen for a magazine cover... :thumbsup:
    Hey, Ron does that for a living

Love the colors.

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks, guys. It was the colors that sold it, because most of the time, they want bucks with big racks; and believe me, the colors, contrast, etc are much more dynamic than what I posted here. The bush is really blazing in the original, and you can count the hairs on the deer. If I remember correctly, it was shot at f/2.8 at 1/180, which I think is phenonomal for a 200mm hand held.

Hand held..wow !
    Congratulations !

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks, Susaan. When I decided to buy this camera, I was a little concerned that the internal IS wouldn't be as good as the IS technology that Canon and Nikon uses in their lenses. I'm still not sure it is as good, but it's pretty good.
    Lenses of comparable quality are a lot less expensive (because they don't come with IS built in), and this way I have IS for any lens I use, and I can use any lens Pentax has ever made, while upgrades in other makes usually demand a new set of lenses.
    It was, admittedly, a bit of a trade-off, or a compromise for financial reasons, but I've been able to get acceptable pix as low as 1/60th, sharp pix as low as 1/90th, and fine shots at 1/180th or above with a 200mm at ISOs between 100 and 400 (all hand-held). I'm pretty satisfied with that.
    I have, however, had AF problems with this camera, and don't like the way Pentax does business (reminds me of the phone company). Because of that, if I had it all to do over, I'd probably buy a Canon.

Thread Information