Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Fallow Deer

Kentucky Wildlife

Fallow Deer

Last week I got the chance to photograph some fallow deer, which are pretty rare in the US. Thought some of you would like to see one. (I'm still trying to figure out the best way to post photos here for maximum viewing. This and the phesant I posted are pretty small and don't look nearly as good as the originals.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Fallow Deer

Nice catch, lucky getting those deer! :thumbsup:

You can attach images all the way up to 800x800 pixels and with a maximum file size of 293KB. Another option is uploading to the gallery where pixels and size aren't a concern. Then simply use [IMG]image URL here[/IMG] code to load the images.

Thanks for showing us. Is that an injury on his hip or just coloraton? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks. Alex. I don't really want to upload big files anywhere, because I sell my images, but I figure no one can do anything with files under 300 KB, even if they do want to steal them, so I thought I would start sharing here.

Kentucky Wildlife

He was just scratching himself on a tree before I got this shot. Would have liked to capture that, but he wasn't enough in the open at that time.
    The thing I thought unusual was he was missing one whole side of his horns. Unlike whitetails and others that grow and shed antlers every year, fallow deer keep their horns, and they contine to grow throughout their lives. There was a lot bigger buck in this herd, but he never did venture into the open.

Kentucky Wildlife

Another thing I found unsual about fallow deer, is they don't run like deer. They hop like an African spring buck and look like they have springs in their hooves. They are, by the way, smaller than whitetail deer also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kruger
    Thanks. Alex. I don't really want to upload big files anywhere, because I sell my images, but I figure no one can do anything with files under 300 KB, even if they do want to steal them, so I thought I would start sharing here.
    I felt the exact same way for the first month or so since joining PR, and posted tiny super-compressed photos stamped with huge grainy watermarks. :blush2:

Of course, we'd all understand if you don't want to post photos, it is entirely optional.

By means of attachments (like here and the pheasant), only PR members can view them. Non-registered visitors cannot view/download attached images. Try it – log out temporarily, and check this thread.

Attachments can be "managed" (track download numbers, remove old photos, view photos) via your own Attachments section under My Account.

I just realized you're from Kentucky. Fallow deer are wild there? Were they escapees? Only non-whitetail I was aware of was the Key in Florida. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Kentucky Wildlife

Thanks, Alex, but even though the pix I'm posting are noiser, less dynamic and have less color saturation than my originals, it's okay.
    Clicker: Fallow deer originate from Europe, English Highlands, I believe. The TVA tried to establish a herd of them on the Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area (LBL) a couple of decades ago, but they didn't take hold. There still are a few of them left, however, though most of the really huge bucks are gone.
    The LBL is 270,000 acres running north and south through most of western Kentucky and Tennessee. It is a great place for wildlife photographers, and I spend a lot of time there.

Thread Information