Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: "Mind the gap"

"Mind the gap"

color photo taken early this morning at the Southside School in Ft Lauderdale

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Re: "Mind the gap"

Wow, nice on B&W, looks dangerous and ominous something Halloween is made from. Often hear “mind the gap” when travelling the tube in the UK. Nice shot well composed. S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

MB1

Good, but I'd like a little more shadow detail.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Well done! Great framing and good contrasts. I'm fine with it just as it is.
    Good stuff.

A scene like this can be very difficult to frame. I like what you did and the slight inclusion of the wall at the end is perfect. The lines in the floorboards crossing with the rafters visible through the missing planks are interesting.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 11-24-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Sticking as featured photo. November 24, 2008
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary, that's quite a compliment after viewing your work for so long

Nice find. I agree a slight boost in the shadows. Great angle too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Perfect angle,well deserved sticky !

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

What a nice surprise to find this photo "stickied", especially after some of the fantastic shots posted in the past few months

Regarding the bump to the shadows, I did bracket this shot so I do have a slightly lighter version.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Jetrim, well done that's really great. Cheers S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Nice job and good eye, Jetrim
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Just another photographer

Post Re: "Mind the gap"

Hi there,

(Picture at the bottom of the post)

Perhaps this is a little over the top on the sharpening front - Mainly as the image was rather smaller than I'd usually play with.

Changed the crop slightly to take advantage of lines sitting on the thirds; Ran a yellow filter over it - still seemed to be colour information in there. Brown and blue were the most prominent. Then just played using layers, curves and softlight to blend a bit more dynamic range in there.

I'm assuming you're OK with me playing with it - as your tag indicated it was OK.

Any more questions, feel free to give me a shout.

Take a peek at my blog...

I really like seeing the rafters but prefer the lower contrast of the floor boards in the original

Quote Originally Posted by teamtomsk
    Ran a yellow filter over it - still seemed to be colour information in there. Brown and blue were the most prominent. Then just played using layers, curves and softlight to blend a bit more dynamic range in there.

I'm assuming you're OK with me playing with it - as your tag indicated it was OK.
    First, I'm fine with anyone "playing with it" and I have to admit you've created an interesting effect that I wouldn't have thought of. I kinda like it :thumbsup:

Second, I believe I stated in my initial post, this is a COLOR photo. It was never converted to grey scale or even desaturated. These were the colors as they represented themselves in the early morning light. The splashes on the floor joists were indeed blue paint and the wood flooring, under all the concrete dust was of course, brown.

PS Nice blog and commercial site

Just another photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    First, I'm fine with anyone "playing with it" and I have to admit you've created an interesting effect that I wouldn't have thought of. I kinda like it :thumbsup:

Second, I believe I stated in my initial post, this is a COLOR photo. It was never converted to grey scale or even desaturated. These were the colors as they represented themselves in the early morning light. The splashes on the floor joists were indeed blue paint and the wood flooring, under all the concrete dust was of course, brown.

PS Nice blog and commercial site

Apologies for not reading correctly... End of a long day. But, I certainly was grabbed by the image! It very much has something there and is a very lovely 'grab'. It may have been my limey blindness to the spelling of 'color' :wink5:

Thanks for your comments on the blog and site - Seriously look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thread Information