Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Serengeti

GB1

The Serengeti

Fairly typical memory of the Serengeti. Thousands of wildebeest and zebras, many which seem somewhat used to SUVs pulling up nearby (seems the predators let you a little closet though). C&Cs appreciated. I am not sure about the lighting, contrast, and color here.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Serengeti-wb_dsc0020_px800.jpg  
    Last edited by GB1; 11-03-2008 at 05:53 PM.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: The Serengeti

I have really enjoyed all your posts from Africa - me and the wife always thought we'd do that trip when I retired ... only 8 years to go!

Without having been there, it's hard to tell if you got the lighting etc right, as you ask. I appreciate that the prevailing colours will be quite pale and dried out. Even so, I think a little boost of contrast would do no harm here, just to give it a little more pop.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

GB1

Thanks Mike. It was the dry season, so can't expect too much. I hear this place looks quite different when the rains come and everything turns green!

I actually decreased the contrast a tad because it looked too "middle of the day" harsh, and in doing so it also added a bit of detail to the beasties...... But it definitely still has that documentary feeling to it. Alas, it is the African plains, so...... let it be, I guess.

G

My Site

great photo, id absolutely love to go to africa some time.

id would like to see a bit more room on the left side in front of the wildebeast. although that might make the zebra more prominent that its cut in half, but that doesn't bother me as much.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

GB1

Thanks Dylan. Africa was an experience and I would definitely recommend it, esp for a photographer.

I too wish I had shot this wider angle and then cropped the top and bottom..

G

My Site

I hope you don't mind, I played with it a little - just touched around with contrast, sat, and hue a little...... Great Picture!

Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

GB1

I don't mind at all, Chow. It certainly looks different, more vibrant. It does seem a bit too yellow on my monitor and perhaps a tad over-sharpened (my version was probably over-sharpened too), but I guess on a bright, African savanna day this is what it may look like (I was too motion sick to remember!)

G

My Site

GB, I think I like the original shot. The lighting seems good and the mist seems to get thicker trough the image. A couple of things that bug me is the cut off animals left and right and the zebras are mostly facing their rears to the camera. I know you really can't control that, but if it wasn't so many and maybe just one. Do you have another shot with the animals clearly in the shot?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Greg - I have a ton of shots but the ones I post up here have the most potential. I don't really see a single shot from my trip as the 10/10 shot, but many have potential - a few adjustments and cropping and whatever, and they could be great. Hence, but reason for asking for critiques! More zebra shots to come, so stay tuned.

Here's another shot of the wildebeest. They're pretty much ignoring me, which is usually good. I am still somewhat disappointed with the technical end of this shoot ... so many shots are blurred, sort, odd, etc.. :mad2: Maybe I'll get another chance one day though

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Serengeti-_dsc9934_px800.jpg  

My Site

Thread Information