Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Nikon Coolpix P6000 Box Opening Video

I made second box opening video for the Nikon Coolpix P6000. Based on your feedback from the D90 video, and some new ideas of my own, I think I've improved a lot on that video. This one has three parts, I shot a lot tighter, and I also included a little close hands-on with the actual camera.

For what it's worth, this video was also shot with the Nikon D90. It was pretty easy to use for video and I think the quality is very nice. Not that I actually know what I'm doing. So take my judgement regarding video with a grain of salt. Or a big, fist-sized brick of salt, maybe

Let me know what you think of this video. I hope you see improvement.

Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

mtbr mastah

Re: Nikon Coolpix P6000 Box Opening Video

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Awesome John. Box opening from first impressions are always exciting. That's why Brown Santa (ups man) is my best friend.

Nice comments and good audio and lighting on that video!

fc

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The aspect ratio looked definitely off on the initial wide angle shot ?

Considering it has no microphone input that's not bad audio, but not good.
    Needs a little better lighting to show up the black of the camera in the wider shot.

Oh yeah, in the close-ups the lighting is better and you can really see the distortion.
    The lens is oval and not circular !
    I guess that's the brightcove video thingy, and not the camera

Looks like a G9 level of camera, and with an extending multi-part lens barrel please can you investigate dust entry into the lens?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

High-Def

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    The aspect ratio looked definitely off on the initial wide angle shot ?

Considering it has no microphone input that's not bad audio, but not good.
    Needs a little better lighting to show up the black of the camera in the wider shot.

Oh yeah, in the close-ups the lighting is better and you can really see the distortion.
    The lens is oval and not circular !
    I guess that's the brightcove video thingy, and not the camera
    Thanks, Paul. I don't know if the sound is going to get better. That would be nice. But when I can shoot this stuff with a point-and-shoot, it's hard to justify buying a real video camera

The distortion is probably because I shot it in 720p and then the video player probably squished it. That was a mistake on my part. I meant to change the resolution but forgot. It definitely didn't need to be shot in HD.

I will try to figure out how to control the exposure better. Right now I have no clue. But I'll work on it. All that white backdrop definitely makes the video dark. Shooting with the D90 was a one-time thing. We have it in for review and I already handed it off to calanan to review. But I would hope whatevver I end up using has some exposure control for video.
    Photo-John

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I was wondering how the D90 would work on video in a less controlled setting than the demos they make for the showing at photo exhibitions
    The demo Nikon were playing at RIS was very jerky. Partly it was the "MTV" speed of jump cuts, partly I think their laptop was lacking cojones.

I think that Canon hit it right putting an external mic input on their DVSLR (is that a good acronym?).
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I was wondering how the D90 would work on video in a less controlled setting than the demos they make for the showing at photo exhibitions
    The demo Nikon were playing at RIS was very jerky. Partly it was the "MTV" speed of jump cuts, partly I think their laptop was lacking cojones.

I think that Canon hit it right putting an external mic input on their DVSLR (is that a good acronym?).
    This thread is getting a little off-track. Maybe we should move it to the DV forum. Or maybe we're going to have to start a new DVSLR forum

I think you're right about the external mic input on the Canon being a good idea. But it's good to re-emphasize that the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and the Nikon D90 aren't head-to-head competitors. The 5D Mark II would be a match against the D700. It's really a lightweight pro body, which now has video capability. And as a pro camera, it should have an external audio input. The D90 is a high-end consumer camera and a better match for the Canon EOS 50D, which doesn't have any video capture.
    Photo-John

Thread Information