Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

canon powershot a75 problem: permanently in review mode

I can't seem to find any other posts with similar issue. I know the canon powershot a75 has porblems but does anyone know how to 'fix' this one? My camera one day decided it would forever be in review mode. I slide the switch to picutre taking mode but nothing changes. The last picture I took was of my rabbit and so that is all I see now whenever I turn on my camera!
    Thanks! Rustmoththieves

Re: canon powershot a75 problem: permanently in review mode

Electronic problems like this often mean it's time to buy a new camera. Have you tried taking out the battery? Can you access the menu to try and reset the camera? If those two things don't work, I think it's time to start shopping. And for what it's worth, you've gotten a pretty good life of service from the A75. In digital camera years, that one's an antique. I'm sure it's not what you want to hear. But the truth is, compact digital cameras are pretty much disposable. Sounds to me like it's time to put that one to rest.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Your camera was one of a host of cameras that suffered from a faulty CCD chip. Check out this from Canon regarding it.

Affected products:

- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
    - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)

Malfunction:
    It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which may cause a distorted image or the absence of an image. This malfunction can be confirmed on the LCD monitor screen during shooting. The same malfunction also appears on the recorded image.

Canon's Response:
    Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of shipping and handling in connection with this repair.

So the good news is that Canon will fix it for FREE:

U.S. residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer Support Center for further assistance at 1-800-828-4040. Support hours are Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight; and Saturday 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM (all times EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is preferred, please send your email to carecenter@cits.canon.com

Nice!

Thanks for posting that, James!
    Photo-John

thanks for the responses especially the info from cannon! i definitely already tried everything--taking the batteries out and fiddling around with the settings etc. i will contact cannon and see if my problem is as described above. it doesn't sound exactly like it but hopefully it is and i can get it fixed for free!

Quote Originally Posted by rustmoththieves
    thanks for the responses especially the info from cannon! i definitely already tried everything--taking the batteries out and fiddling around with the settings etc. i will contact cannon and see if my problem is as described above. it doesn't sound exactly like it but hopefully it is and i can get it fixed for free!
    Good luck and please keep us posted!
    Photo-John

Thread Information