Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Frematle Lighthouse

This is probably a very photographed subject and probably more so from this perspective?

danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Re: Frematle Lighthouse

The B & W format makes this image very dramatic. I always hear that centering your subject makes it less interesting but I don't know how you could change this shot.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

The affect of the centering is minimized by the very wideness of the angle, more interesting and compelling. 12mm lens?

I wish I had a lens that wide. 28mm, but on film.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like the starkness and the distortion makes it more interesting than an everyday shot.
    Even the plain gray sky works for this one.
    Well done.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

I like the shot as well, with it centered my thoughts went strait to "a big wave crashing in the background", maybe it's the DoF? Anyway I'd be happy if I'd taken this one. Well done. S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Cheers Frog and shootme
    danic

RedBubble

Does it appear 'small' to anyone else? Like it could have been done with a perspective trick? Not implying that it was, but that is the feeling I get. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Very good, the centering of this subject is effective in this composition. It looks like a portrait and there is a life given to this lighthouse due to the comp.Good tones and high contrast. I like this alot.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 10-20-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured photo. October 20, 2008
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Congrats on the sticky Danic. You work hard at it and you continually raise the bar. I really enjoy your work.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Congrats on the sticky from me too.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Congrats Danic. love the black and white tones u got got here. nicely dramatic shot. a subject like this screams to be centred and shot this big. i also like the slight perspective going upwards, i think it gives it an upper depth if that is even a word. lol. nicely done!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Congrats Danic.
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Thanks guys! I'm stoked, it's my first sticky!
    danic

RedBubble

Danic,

A hearty congratulations on your first sticky. I have had several and they are always a thrill. I am sure this is not your last. Very nice job!!

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

GB1

Danic - Congrats on your first sticky. I like the shot and think that it shows the power of solid geometry in a photograph. The black and white adds to this since there is no color to distract and makes you notice the geometry even more. I do notice a slight CCW tilt to the lighthouse, but I am not sure that this is bad -- it sort of gives the photo character. I am also wondering if there could be something else done to this shot, like spot color in the light area... hm, not sure. Keep it in mind though, you may want to use it in a collage in the future.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks CF and GB1 It's interesting you commented on the spot of colour. It's something I'm looking into with some of my shots. I'll keep it in mind for the future.
    danic

RedBubble

Thread Information