Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Exposure indicator in manual (M) Mode of Canon EOS 400D

I’m novice to DSLR….after havng EOS 400D I’m learning through Manual…..Problem I’m facing right now is , In Manual(M) mode in spite of changing aperture or Shutter speed ,Expose indicator remains on –same place (-2) Exposure indicator in manual (M) Mode
    ..I can not under stand whether it is cam prob or I cud nt operate properly….

plss help me…..

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Exposure indicator in manual (M) Mode of Canon EOS 400D

Interesting. You should see the exposure indicator change as you adjust the settings. The only time I can think of when it would stay there, is if your camera is set to underexpose the image by more than 2 stops. If that is the case, you may just need to adjust your setting a little farther.

If that's not it, I would have someone look at it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I assume we're talking about the exposure compensation indicator here? If so, I wouldn't think that would change unless you manually change it. I've never shot my Canon in manual, but I'd think, just like in Av mode, the E.C. wouldn't change unless you forced it to.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

There is no exposure compensation in M mode. If it's staying at -2, your meter is saying there isn't enough light in the scene. I'm with Mike, you probably haven't adjusted far enough, either a slower shutter speed(smaller number), or a wider aperture(smaller number), or a combination of both.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I've never used a Canon but my Nikon has an exposure compensation button and I'd guess that Canon does too. This would change what shutter speed would be indicated as 'correct' in your viewfinder and if set at -2 would indecate so.
    Might be a way off base Nikon guy but its what I thought of when I read your post.
    On my Nikon the exposure comp button is on the top right.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    There is no exposure compensation in M mode.
    I didn't know that. I learn something new every day.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I've never used a Canon but my Nikon has an exposure compensation button and I'd guess that Canon does too. This would change what shutter speed would be indicated as 'correct' in your viewfinder and if set at -2 would indecate so.
    Might be a way off base Nikon guy but its what I thought of when I read your post.
    On my Nikon the exposure comp button is on the top right.
    There is no EC button on a Canon. When in P, AV, or TV, you half press the shutter to activate the meter then use the large wheel in the back to dial in EC.

Like I said above, there is no EC per-se in M mode on a Canon. You are in full control of the camera in M mode, therefore completely over-riding the meter, so the =/- exposure indicator just shows how far you are doing that.
    It's a semantic difference because you are basically dialing in EC, but in M mode you just change the SS or Aperture to increase or decrease the amount of light. Either dial will dial in compensation, and unlike the other modes, it's a dynamic compensation, it doesn't stay dialed in, it changes with every metering of the scene.

In AV or TV the camera always changes the opposite parameter of the one you are controlling for that particular mode. In P mode Canon has chosen the aperture to be the control, and you are changing the time to dial in EC.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thread Information