Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Adorama - Used Dept

I usually hear nothing but good things about Adorama, and I've always had good luck buying new products from them, but this is my second experience with their used dept, and both times have been bad. I'm not sure if they are dishonest or just incompetent.

First, I bought a used Minolta MD 24mm f/2.8 lens in EX condition. This is one of Minoltas most sought after manual focus lenses, so I decided to fork out $160 for it...a lot for an old lens. When it arrived, I was upset to discover a Minolta MC 24mm f/2.8 lens. I checked the original order and confirmed it was for an MD, and there was never an MC listed on their website, but the receipt in the box said MC. Someone changed the invoice to match what they were giving me instead of what I ordered. I don't see how that could happen by accident. I emailed them to complain, because I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone, and they never replied. I made the mistake of giving up and deciding to keep it, because everything I read said it was just as good and I was tired of the hassle. It is a good lens, but I realized later it's not worth as much. Now that I'm ready to sell it, I wish I had pursued my complaint further.

Second, just 5 minutes ago, I got off the phone with the Used Dept, regarding my Nikon D70s kit which I sent to them for a quote. After speaking with the same guy two weeks ago on the phone he assured me that if it was in the condition I stated they would give me $500. I have the box and everything that was in it, plus a memory card and extra battery. After a week of playing phone tag I got to talk to him again to get the final quote. He said it was in fact in the condition I stated, but now he says he'll give me 70% of market value, which is only $400. The quote dropped from $500 to $280 despite no disagreement about it's condition. I told him to send it back. I'm not out any money, because they pay shipping, but I wasted 3 weeks on these fools...so far.

Beware of the Used Dept. I don't think they have there heads on straight, to say the least.

Paul

Re: Adorama - Used Dept

Dear Paul

I must firstly apologize for not having picked up your posting earlier. Secondly, of course, a sincere apology that you are clearly unhappy with the level of service we have given to you - and in your shoes, I would feel the same way.

I would very much like to look into this; I don't want to put you to any further trouble, but if you could contact me directly with your order number so I can track your order, I would be extremely grateful.
    I can assure you that this is not the way the used department usually does business, so at this point I am at a loss to explain what went so horribly wrong for you.
    However, as soon as I have your order details, this will receive my immediate attention.

Once again my apologies, and I do look forward to hearing from you, soon.

Sincerely

Helen oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Sucks that you had a bad experience. I ordered a D200, battery grip, and 2 extra batteries about 2 months ago and one of the batteries decided it wouldn't hold a charge anymore & would charge. I emailed support & got a new battery by the end of the week.

I haven't tried selling anything to any of the big stores, only on Ebay.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster
    Dear Paul

I must firstly apologize for not having picked up your posting earlier. Secondly, of course, a sincere apology that you are clearly unhappy with the level of service we have given to you - and in your shoes, I would feel the same way.

I would very much like to look into this; I don't want to put you to any further trouble, but if you could contact me directly with your order number so I can track your order, I would be extremely grateful.
    I can assure you that this is not the way the used department usually does business, so at this point I am at a loss to explain what went so horribly wrong for you.
    However, as soon as I have your order details, this will receive my immediate attention.

Once again my apologies, and I do look forward to hearing from you, soon.

Sincerely

Helen oster
    Hi Helen,

I appreciate your response. I wasn't expecting that, but it is refreshing to know that Adorama is concerned with customer satisfaction. I have sent you a PM with all the details and if you'd like to give me an email address, I can forward the original emails.

Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Sucks that you had a bad experience. I ordered a D200, battery grip, and 2 extra batteries about 2 months ago and one of the batteries decided it wouldn't hold a charge anymore & would charge. I emailed support & got a new battery by the end of the week.

I haven't tried selling anything to any of the big stores, only on Ebay.
    It's good to hear you had a better experience than I did. I've always had good luck with new products and I'd hate to feel like I need to write Adorama off completely out of principle. Hopefully my experience is a unique one.

This was my first attempt to sell anything anywhere besides ebay, and I probably would have never tried if it wasn't for the original $500 quote. Ebay can be a bit of a hassle, so I thought the trade off was worth it at that price. Definitely not worth loosing several hundred dollars though.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    It's good to hear you had a better experience than I did. I've always had good luck with new products and I'd hate to feel like I need to write Adorama off completely out of principle. Hopefully my experience is a unique one.

This was my first attempt to sell anything anywhere besides ebay, and I probably would have never tried if it wasn't for the original $500 quote. Ebay can be a bit of a hassle, so I thought the trade off was worth it at that price. Definitely not worth loosing several hundred dollars though.

Paul
    Dear Paul

I do hope that any outstanding issues have now been resolved - although, of course, I do wish we'd got it right first time.

If you still need me to do anything for you, please don't hesitate to come back to me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Smile Re: Adorama - Used Dept

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster
    Dear Paul

I do hope that any outstanding issues have now been resolved - although, of course, I do wish we'd got it right first time.

If you still need me to do anything for you, please don't hesitate to come back to me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Hi Helen,

Thanks for following up. I've been planning to report back so anyone reading this will get the word that Adorama did in fact make good of this situation.

I spoke with the Used Dept manager a couple of weeks ago and he apologized for the lens mix up and offered to exchange it for the correct MD lens. So, with free shipping, I packaged up my MC lens and returned it. I barely used the lens in the time I had it, so it was returned in the exact condition in which it was received. A few days ago I received a call from someone else in the Used Dept who informed me that they didn't have a suitable lens to exchange it for, so I asked if I could just get a refund. He sent me an email today to confirm that I am being refunded the original purchase price. This is excellent considering the original purchase was almost a year ago.

The Manager also explained the situation with the D70s, and how the market value was dropping at a very fast pace. I was originally quoted an estimated value of $500. I think at that time it should have been explained to me that Adorama would only pay me 70% of that value, but it was not. The market value dropped to $400 and the quote dropped to $280. The Manager offered to go ahead and quote it as if the market value was still $500 (meaning I would get $350), even though he felt Adorama would not make any money on the deal. I think that was a fair offer and it was much appreciated, but I turned him down, because I felt I could make more money selling it on my own. Last weekend it sold on ebay for $450.

Additionally, I recently made a fairly large order and I was given free shipping. All in all, I'm satisfied with the follow up I got from Adorama, and I won't hesitate to do business with them again.

Thanks,
    Paul

Many thanks for the up-date, Paul; I was pleased to read that it all worked out in the end.

We do look forward to helping you in the future with your purchases from Adorama Camera - but if there are ever any problems with an order, I will always be delighted to help

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

1/22/10 11:54 AM, I sent this comment to Reseller Ratings,
    After contacting Adorama's used department, I sent several cameras to them for evaluation. I was not satisfied with their estimate, so I asked that the equipment be returned. I was assured earlier at the first contact that everything would be returned to me if I was not satisfied with their pricing estimate. I received some of the items I sent in, but one camera, several lenses, camera and lens cases and manuals were not returned and I was told they had been discarded because they had no value. A check of retail camera prices at their site and competitive retailers shows that the equipment was worth several hundred dollars.

I received this reply from Adorama
    1/24/10 1:27 PM
    Thank you for your feedback. However, We'd like to clarify and state what actually occured. After you sent in your equipment you were given a fair estimate of what the merchadise is worth to us. You happily agreed (we have the recording). The next day you called back and decided you were no longer happy. Unfortunately, your merchandise was already discarded as not fit for resale. We apologize for your dissatisfaction, but this wasn't our fault.
    Sincerely,
    Jerry Greenbaum
    Adorama, Inc.

Mr Greenbaum is wrong. I never agreed to having my equipment discarded. I called back the same day and asked that all equipment be returned. If it was unfit for resale why is the same type of equipment listed on their used site for sale? The following items were not returned

Manual for (Hasselblad 500 C/M)
    Manual for (Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.8)

Case and Manual (for Olympus OM2n)
    Zuiko Zoom Lens 75-150 f4 # 349247 Case

Konica FT-1 Motor # 354798 / Case / Manual
    Hexanon 50mm f1.7 # 7308125
    Macro-Hexanon 55mm f3,5 #7920789
    W/ Macro Lens Adaptor AR & Case / Manual

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com.

Did you agree to take the amount offered? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote Originally Posted by stamsund
    1/22/10 11:54 AM...................After contacting Adorama's used department, I sent several cameras to them for evaluation. I was not satisfied with their estimate, so I asked that the equipment be returned...... I received some of the items I sent in, but one camera, several lenses, camera and lens cases and manuals were not returned and I was told they had been discarded because they had no value.

I am looking into this and will come back as soon as I have addtional information.

Helen Oster from Adorama Customer Service contacted me. She was gracious and empathized with my issues. I told her I felt this was a misunderstanding and not a deliberate act by any of the Adorama staff. She had Jack Gold from the used department contact me. Jack was friendly and was eager to resolve the problem and did so quickly and amicably. I was given a credit for the equipment and I was satisfied that the issue had been completely resolved. I'm happy to report that I now have purchased a Canon 5D Mark2 from Adorama and will return to them for additional lenses and other equipment in the future. If I could I would give Adorama 6 Stars and six stars as well to Helen Oster and Jack Gold.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Glad it worked out well for you. I've made several small purchases from Adorama and had a couple of prints done and have always been happy with their service.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nevermind.

mamiyanikon

ADORAMA/UPS POSSIBLE BAD NEWS BEARS READ ALL:mad2: -

ADORAMA has been from the day it was suggested my go to site i have spent personally thousands as well as sent/picked up items due to my suggestion for photographers before photo shoots- including various high end items as well as promoted adorama to colleagues to they're rental site

[in fact 2 of my employers bought canon mk2 1 a hasslebald due to my suggestion]

well i have always gone to them for the great kindness and personal connection always resolved within a day,

:yikes: UNTIL RECENTLY I WAS WAITING ANXIOUSLY [ALTHOUGH I HAD PAID UNNECESSARILY FOR THE EXTRA SHIPPING COSTS [for earlier delivery] ONLY TO FIND OUT ON MY WAY HOME FROM HOUSTON I was tracking on UPS WHILE IN TRANSIT UPS STATED THAT WHILE IN FACILITY MY PACKAGE HAD BEEN OPENED AND ALL THAT WAS LEFT WAS AN EMPTY CONTAINER WHICH WAS DISPOSED that means while in UPS negligence belongs to me i suppose because the used camera body kit i had waited for was the last one as well as some other things in the package
    MAMIYA TL SYSTEM DEVELOPING TANK LENSES C-41 LARGE KIT A WITH 120 FILM AT LEAST 100 DOLLARS WORTH WHILE IN TRANSIT HAD BEEN STOLEN I WAS SO SICK TO MY STOMACH

adoramas policy leaves alot to be said-:idea:
    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...eturn%20Policy

I IMMEDIATELY CALLED adorama THURSDAY NIGHT SENT MULTIPLE MESSAGES ONLY TO GET NO REPLY BY MONDAY MY CLAIM IS NO GOOD UPS GOT INTO MY BOX IN SOME TOWN RIGHT ON THE WAY TO MY HOUSE AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY RETURNED CALLS FROM ADORAMA I CALLED MESSAGED BEFORE HOLIDAY LOT'S OF E-MAILS ECT.
    I WORK SO HARD I BOUGHT USED I EXPECT SOME KIND OF REBATE AS WELL AS UPGRADE I GUESS I AM SO BUMMED IT IS PAINFUL oh well by the way THANKS ADORAMA I APPRECIATE YOUR LACK OF CONCERN

:shocked: not all of us can wait when a job awaits in the end worst part of the story i have a job coming up with no mamiya=no paycheck

Quote Originally Posted by adnakissa

ADORAMA/UPS POSSIBLE BAD NEWS BEARS READ ALL

....not all of us can wait when a job awaits in the end worst part of the story i have a job coming up with no mamiya=no paycheck
    I was extremely concerned to read your posting and at this point can only apologize for the disappointment this has caused.

Please email me with your order number and I will give this matter my immediate attention: HelenO@adorama.com

NB please don't forget that we are in the midst of our Fall holiday period.
    Adorama NYC Retail Store schedule:
    Sukkoth: We will close Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 2:30pm and will reopen on Sunday October 3 at 9:30 am

Adorama phone-sales department schedule
    Wednesday Sep 22 9:00 - 3:00
    Tuesday Sep 28 – 9:00 - 5:00
    Wednesday Sep 29 9:00 - 3:00
    Thank you for your understanding and your business

mamiyanikon

ADORE Adorama Helen took care of this asap I can not believe that I doubted my favorite
    Mom and pops like operation like a female batman she swooped in and put so much care into resolving the problem I believe what happened was a holiday UPS situation Adorama has always been such a quality place where even through the Internet I feel I am treated like I would be face to face in a store ran by caring family members not even a corporation
    Vibe thanks Helen Oster and the Adorama staff for being such life saviors!

Xo

Quote Originally Posted by adnakissa
    ADORE Adorama Helen took care of this asap I can not believe that I doubted my favorite
    Mom and pops like operation like a female batman she swooped in and put so much care into resolving the problem I believe what happened was a holiday UPS situation Adorama has always been such a quality place where even through the Internet I feel I am treated like I would be face to face in a store ran by caring family members not even a corporation
    Vibe thanks Helen Oster and the Adorama staff for being such life saviors!

Xo
    :blush2: :blush2: :blush2:

...... and thanks so much for your kind words.

I purchaced a Fujinon TH13x3.5BRMU 13x 1/3" JVC ProHD Lens for $625. They posted detailed pics of the item as being in prime condition. Then they called me up a few days later and cancelled my order after I had paid for it and passed up another lens of the same type that they had posted on ebay for only $125 more. Also on the 9th of the same month I had purchaced a headset from them only to get a notice two days later say they did not have such in stock as they had advertised prior and had no idea when it would be in. As far as the lens they would not sell me the other one, they would not fix the one sold to me and they would not sell it to me as is and their posting says as follows: Items Included:
    Fujinon TH13x3.5BRMU 13x 1/3" JVC ProHD Lens
    Lens Hood
    Tested prior to listing. Images are of actual items you will receive.

Auction Info:

Bid & Buy with Confidence! All items have a Buy with Confidence! Buy with Confidence!

Scammers buy at your own risk. they will waste your time and may cost you money if you are a business as they have done myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 2madd View Post
    I purchaced a Fujinon TH13x3.5BRMU 13x 1/3" JVC ProHD Lens for $625. They posted detailed pics of the item as being in prime condition. Then they called me up a few days later and cancelled my order after I had paid for it and passed up another lens of the same type that they had posted on ebay for only $125 more. Also on the 9th of the same month I had purchaced a headset from them only to get a notice two days later say they did not have such in stock as they had advertised prior and had no idea when it would be in. As far as the lens they would not sell me the other one, they would not fix the one sold to me and they would not sell it to me as is and their posting says as follows: Items Included:
    Lens Hood
    I am already in contact with Roger, as he has multiposted this complaint on Yelp and Trust Pilot so far today.

As always, I will get to the bottom of this and resolve it one way or another

never any issues with adorama

Quote Originally Posted by michael79t View Post
    never any issues with adorama
    Thank you so much for your positive feedback - it's always very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    I am already in contact with Roger, as he has multiposted this complaint on Yelp and Trust Pilot so far today.

Helen is correct. Jack Gold at Adorama has been in touch with me several times assuring me of the delivery of the item I purchaced. Yes the situation is bad but they want to do good business is seems. Let's see what this business is made of. I hope its honor.

Quote Originally Posted by 2madd View Post
    Helen is correct. Jack Gold at Adorama has been in touch with me several times assuring me of the delivery of the item I purchaced. Yes the situation is bad but they want to do good business is seems. Let's see what this business is made of. I hope its honor.
    And you know where I am if you need any additional help with this!

[QUOTE=HelenOster;521242]I am already in contact with Roger, as he has multiposted this complaint on Yelp and Trust Pilot so far today.

Reply:
    They would not fix the one that they broke. But Jack Gold and Jacob Zakon have sent me an email saying:
    Jacob Zakon (jzakon@adorama.com)Add to contacts
    5/10/13 To: (hidden email)
    Cc: Jack Gold
    Sent: Fri 5/10/13 9:56 AM
    To: (hidden email)
    Cc: Jack Gold (hidden email)

Hi Roger,
    This is written confirmation of Adorama’s commitment to allocate the next available Fujinon TH13X3.5BRMU HD lens in our possession for you.
    Thanks,

Jacob Zakon
    Adorama Used Dept.
    1-800-223-2500 Ext. 2043
    Remember the details about their ad are:
    Condition:

E+ Excellent Plus - May have slight wear, but only visible under close up inspection.

Description:

The Fujinon TH13x3.5BRMU is a 13x 1/3" wide-angle high-definition lens designed specifically for JVC's line of ProHD cameras, representing the highest quality optics available for the product. Known for their high build quality and precision optics, Fujinon lenses have become the industry standard for professional video applications all over the world. The focal-length range is 3.5 to 46mm with a minimum object distance of 0.4 meters, or about 1.3 feet.
    Items Included:
    Lens Hood

Auction Info:

Bid & Buy with Confidence! All items have a Buy with Confidence! Buy with Confidence! All items have a 100% Satisfaction guarantee

Its their move next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information