Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Canon Powershot G9?

Hello everyone. I currently own a sony point and shoot, it is a great digital camera, I want to expand my photography skills. I want something like a DSLR, but i'm not quite ready for something so advanced. I was thinking that maybe the G9 would be right for me because you can change the lens on it, but not have anything too complicated and bulky to carry around. I want to take some outdoor shots, night shots, macro, and some casual pictures. So, does anyone have this camera? Do you like it? How is the battery life on it? Sorry if this wasn't a "detailed" post, just wanted it short and to the point. Thanks

Re: Canon Powershot G9?

The G9 is a great camera. Here's my detailed review of it:

Canon PowerShot G9 Pro Review

And here are user reviews from the community:

Canon PowerShot G9 User Reviews

It will be a great learning camera as it has full manual controls and offers RAW shooting. You can't change the lenses, although you can buy accessory lenses.

I would encourage you to think more about a digital SLR. I understand how you might be intimidated and think they're too advanced. However, entry-level DSLRs have the same beginner-friendly auto modes that point-and-shoots and advanced compacts like the G9 have. So it wouldn't have to be complicated, and it would offer more room to grow. You can start out in pure auto with the kit lens and then start experimenting with manual controls and other lenses when you're ready. The image quality will be better and the camera will be faster. So think about it a little more. I think the reason to buy a G9 is for a smaller compliment to a DSLR, or if you think you don't really want a DSLR. But if you're thinking about it at all, think some more. They aren't really any more complicated than you want them to be. And the quality is much, much better.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

wow, thanks for the speedy reply! I just saw the price of the nikon d40 kit, it is a couple more dollars, do. You think that will be better? Are there any other must have accesories?thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chandler
    wow, thanks for the speedy reply! I just saw the price of the nikon d40 kit, it is a couple more dollars, do. You think that will be better? Are there any other must have accesories?thanks
    Yes, I think the D40 will be better. And I think you'll do just fine to start with the kit. It will be faster than the Canon G9 and should have better image quality. You might also want to compare to Canon, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus entry-level DSLRs. One thing you'll be giving up buying the Nikon is the Canon G9's image stabilization. For Canon and Nikon DSLRs you have to buy special IS (Canon) or VR (Nikon) lenses to get image stabilization. But Sony, Olympus, and Pentax have built-in image stabilization right in the DSLR camera body.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chandler
    Hello everyone. I currently own a sony point and shoot, it is a great digital camera, I want to expand my photography skills. I want something like a DSLR, ...
    Then you are going to be disappointed with the G9.

I bought one hoping to use it as a dSLR replacement for street shooting. Not even close. the low light capabilities are hideous (excessive noise) for ambient light shooting which is my preferred method. And the controls are not conducive for manual mode shooting - too many button presses unlike the simplier SLR controls.

The wife uses it as an advanced P&S which is what it is. It also does a decent job at videos.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information