Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Bought a Canon Eos 3 yesterday, going back to shooting film for a while!

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and site. I have been shooting digital for quite some time and just decided to purchase an E0S-3. I know many might think that shooting a film camera might be going backwards from digital, but there is something about shooting film I miss. Maybe it's just an itch I need to scratch, but I will soon find out.

When I decided to go digital several years ago, I also bought and kept a used film camera just in case I needed it.

I have shot many different brands of film camera's over the years, but when I finally made the decision to go to a Digital SLR, I sold my Nikon gear and various other brands of camera's that either my father left me or I had bought, and decided to go with Canon. I thought long and hard and finally purchased the Canon 1D when it was first released. Since that time I purchased the 1DMKII, and 5D. So currently I own those 3 camera's as well as an Olympus E-1 and Canon 620.

Currently, I have a good range of lenses that I never had when I was shooting film. Even though the body of the EOS 620 would probably work fine with them, I decided I wanted a higher end body that would be some what comparable to my 1D series type bodies. So yesterday I decided, the Canon 620 is going, and I bought an E0S 3 body on ebay. The camera is supposed to be new in the box, but as with anything you buy on ebay, you never know until it's in your hands. I believe this camera was first released by Canon in 1998 and I am curious as to when they stopped production of this model. I will probably call them and ask today.

I have to say part of what influenced me to purchase the EOS 3 was the fact that many people on the DPR Canon 1D SLR Forum have posted threads over the years hoping that Canon would produce a body similiar to EOS 3 in a digital body. Several in that forum have coined the name 3D hoping it would be produced. I also have been curious to try Eye Focus. Maybe some of you who either own or have owned a Canon with Eye focus can share your experiences with me.

At this point, I feel like I might end up re-educating myself. What I mean by this is that when you shoot Digital, your film is reusable so if you make a mistake, it really does not cost you anything other than time to correct it. Of course this is assuming you are not taking a critical shot. I feel that spending sometime shooting film, will help me re-polish my skills and techniques. It will force me back to thinking more before I shoot because I will not have hundreds or thousands of frames that I can go though in one sitting. I certainly could not afford to develop hundreds or thousands of frames from one sitting even if I could afford all the film.

Maybe I will find out I am wrong, but I think going back to shooting film for a while will help make me a better photographer, and most likely more selective in how and what I shoot.

Thanks for reading,

Jason

Re: Bought a Canon Eos 3 yesterday, going back to shooting film for a while!

Hi Jason, welcome to PR and welcome back to film The EOS 3's are supposed to be very nice cameras. I did a little search and looks like they were still available until 2007, at least according to wiki, so there's a good chance it could be new. When I swapped over to shooting film, it definitely slowed down my shooting. I'm to the point now where I am having a hard time finishing a 12 shot roll of 120, though I think I am getting over selective in my shots now. Looking forward to hearing how the new body works out for you and don't forget to post some pics :thumbsup:

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Hi Jason,

It's always good to hear of someone trying film again, and we're glad you joined us here on PhotographyReview. I should warn you, it might be more serious than just an itch though. I tried digital for a while and then one day I couldn't resist buying a Canonet rangefinder for $25. Next thing I knew my digital camera was collecting dust and I have several more film cameras. Film will slow you down and slowing down is almost always a good thing. Some people seem to have the ability to slow down with a digital camera, but I never did. I find that using a simpler manual focus camera adds to that so I really have to think before I shoot, but there have been many times when I wanted something like your EOS 3. Good luck with it. Make sure you post some photos for us.

Paul

Thanks to those that have replied. I am lucky that I have built a good selection of L and other lenses. I think good glass will make shooting film even more enjoyable for me. I just got notification that my camera body should be here in a few days, so I am sort of excited. I am in the Champaign IL area, and we have some wonderful public parks where I take models on occasion for photo shoots. I am very curious how my 300mm 2.8 will perform on film compared to digital. I also own a 5D which is full frame so it will be interesting to compare 5D images to film as well.

I gained lots of experience shooting high school sports over the last 6 years for the local paper. I also freelance and have been able to shoot some college level as well. Along with all of that I had to cover community events, which included parades, Forth of July Celebrations, local fairs, Halloween, Christmas scenes, and my pictures of local wildlife and architecture have graced the cover as well as the inside pages of the county guides for several of those years. I also love to travel, and have been fortunate enough to travel and photograph across America and several other countries. After including my interests in shooting landscapes, wildlife, and people, I think you will understand how diverse my interests are.

I still feel like I have much to do and learn. I really do not want to get stuck in one style so to speak so I constantly push myself to learn and attempt new things and take risks.

When I first starting shooting digital I had very high frame rates. After I really got adjusted to my camera, my frame rates went down drastically. I really think the hardest part about shooting film for many, including myself, is going to be the absence of instant feedback.

Although the metering in the Eos 3 is supposed to be very good, I will probably use my hand held spot meter until I learn to trust it. I really need to study the Eos 3 inside and out so I learn its weaknesses and strong points.

Although this probably could be better, here is an image from Glen Canyon in Page Az that I shot with Nikon before I went digital

http://i.pbase.com/u20/comicdom1/upl...3.bridgeaz.jpg

and one more from the Olympus E-10

http://i.pbase.com/u21/comicdom1/upl...andTetons2.jpg

I also have some of my wildlife, sports, pet, and model shots posted on onemodelplace online.

Jason

drg

Jason,

Welcome to PR.

You and I are about an hour away from one another with me being in the B-N area.

This spring I added an EOS-3 to the collection and really like the camera, particularly with what I paid for it! I've been an EOS-1v user for some time (for work when I still shot film and one has since become a personal camera) and I thought I'd try a 3 for an alternative. Never had given eye-control a good test and wanted to do so.

There's a post You don't need to use antiques . . . from, mid May where I first commented on that acquisition.

The metering system was one reason I picked it up as I didn't want to pay for another 1v. As a shooter of various versions and generations of the EOS 1D family, I got spoiled by the metering system among other 'features'. You should find it quite easy to adapt. The metering for these cameras I feel is among the best ever in a 35mm format. For slides and tricky films that require careful metering or especially for difficult conditions you won't do better with an external meter unless you got the best spot meter ever made.

I will look forward to what you post from you EOS-3 and remember with with eye-control, everything can make a difference from glasses to contacts to ambient light.

Now maybe I've got someone to shoot with at Allerton this fall.

I also need to get over and photograph 'the farms' at UofI now that all the move is completed and everyone has 'settled in' to the new environment. Or we hope. There's various posts about Monticello and Bement and Lincoln floating around as well.

You wouldn't be one of the NEW guys at the News-Gazette by any chance? I'm not a photojournalist but I know many of them in this part of the state one way or the other.

Again, welcome to PR and PM or email me and perhaps we can work out meeting sometime.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I am not one of the new guys but you might have seen some of my images in the past in the Journal. I went through three editors. I also have several images hanging in Monticello High School.

Jason

Hi Jason, CONGRATS on your new (to you) EOS 3. While I have never owned one, I have a friend that did, and he loved it. :thumbsup:
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicDom1
    Maybe I will find out I am wrong, but I think going back to shooting film for a while will help make me a better photographer, and most likely more selective in how and what I shoot.
    One thing for sure is You'll find yourself thinking more about the shot because of the cost of film and processing. :idea:
    -Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Ballen Photo
    Hi Jason, CONGRATS on your new (to you) EOS 3. While I have never owned one, I have a friend that did, and he loved it. :thumbsup:
    One thing for sure is You'll find yourself thinking more about the shot because of the cost of film and processing. :idea:
    -Bruce
    Bruce, I just got the camera today. I went to Walgreens and CVS looking for a battery for it, and film. While both stores had film, they did not have fuji like I wanted. I drove across town to Sam's club, but they do not sell any film, just throw away film cameras. So I went to Target because I knew they carried some film, and I got Superia X-tra pack that has 4 Rolls of 24 exposures, and a bonas Roll of 36 exposure 400 speed film. The cost was $7.99 for the pack. I figure I could push or pull this speed if I want but first I want to check out the camera. It actually comes out to a pretty good deal for buying local. I am going to be making another post here asking for advice so I hope you look for it since you never answer your phone. (LOL)

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Jason,

Welcome to PR.

You and I are about an hour away from one another with me being in the B-N area.

This spring I added an EOS-3 to the collection and really like the camera, particularly with what I paid for it! I've been an EOS-1v user for some time (for work when I still shot film and one has since become a personal camera) and I thought I'd try a 3 for an alternative. Never had given eye-control a good test and wanted to do so.

There's a post You don't need to use antiques . . . from, mid May where I first commented on that acquisition.

The metering system was one reason I picked it up as I didn't want to pay for another 1v. As a shooter of various versions and generations of the EOS 1D family, I got spoiled by the metering system among other 'features'. You should find it quite easy to adapt. The metering for these cameras I feel is among the best ever in a 35mm format. For slides and tricky films that require careful metering or especially for difficult conditions you won't do better with an external meter unless you got the best spot meter ever made.

I will look forward to what you post from you EOS-3 and remember with with eye-control, everything can make a difference from glasses to contacts to ambient light.

Now maybe I've got someone to shoot with at Allerton this fall.

I also need to get over and photograph 'the farms' at UofI now that all the move is completed and everyone has 'settled in' to the new environment. Or we hope. There's various posts about Monticello and Bement and Lincoln floating around as well.

You wouldn't be one of the NEW guys at the News-Gazette by any chance? I'm not a photojournalist but I know many of them in this part of the state one way or the other.

Again, welcome to PR and PM or email me and perhaps we can work out meeting sometime.
    Let me know when you want to get together and maybe go shoot in Allerton or U of I. Lake of the woods is also a fun place to shoot. You are also welcome to give me a call if you email me at ComicDom1@aol.com for my phone number. Maybe I will take you out on my sailboat and you can create some images out on the water was well.

Jason

drg

Jason,

Thanks! I was up North of Peoria yesterday. Shot a couple of rolls there, but mostly digital.

I'm thinking of Allerton later this summer or early fall. Right now the car show circuit (and thus work) is in full swing.

I haven't taken time to go to Lake of the Woods for years. Just the way it works I guess. Funk's Grove is just about three miles north of my house, so I get out there regularly or drive through it almost daily.

Sailing you say? Now that's enticing. I haven't been out since early last year.

Will email you later!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Well, I finally got around to getting my first roll film developed from the Eos-3. Of course I was just running it through to check out the camera operation so nothing I shot was really exceptional. I was pleasantly surprised that I got 36 out of 36 good exposures. I am sure as the rust works off my technical skills that I will start to get my old confidence back shooting film. The E0S-3 is a sweet, I mean sweet Machine. Did I tell you the E0S-3 was Sweet?

Walgreens developing of my color negatives worked out to about .09 per frame. I cut the negatives myself.

Jason

Thread Information