Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

New D40 or used D70s? Please help!

Hello All.....I've been lurking around for several months now, reading your posts and advice.
    Thanks to you, I've narrowed my search down to a Nikon D40. However, I've now found a "used" D70s for the same price as the new D40.

This is my first DSLR, I've always used a p/s, so I'm completely new to all this. I will be primarily shooting wildlife, scenery, and landscapes. I plan on taking a couple of photography classes at the local CC, and will probably want to upgrade my SLR at some point.

My question is should I stay with the new D40, or go with the slightly used D70s and upgrade lenses?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Tonya

Re: New D40 or used D70s? Please help!

What lens comes with each camera? The 18-55 that comes with the D40 is a good performer but it's all plastic and you would want to change later on. The 18-70 that comes with the D70s is a great lens that you want to hold on to - metal construction where it counts, excellent performance.

The D40 is a simplified, modernised D70s:

- same sensor
    - better image processor in the D40
    - better focussing and exposure systems in the D70s
    - CompactFlash in the D70s and SD card in the D40 (no advantage either way)

Only buy the D70s if it's in really excellent condition. It's been out of production for quite a while now - I would even expect to see a new D70s for the price of a D40
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

The D70s comes with DX AF-S Nikkor 55-200 mm f4-5.6 G ED. I found it online so as far as condition, can only trust what the seller advertises. It's suposed to be in excellent condition, was purchased in 2005 and has less than 6500 shutter actuations. He does have a return policy.

The D40 comes with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED ll AF-S DX. I like the fact that it's under warranty, and as you said, it's simplified. I thought that may be better for me as a beginner.

Both have 6.1 megapixels.

As I suspected

The D70s owner has decided to keep the 18-70 that came with the camera (as I would do) and sell the camera with another lens he had in stock. The 55-200 is an economy telephoto zoom. You could use it as your only lens if your main interest was birds or sport, but for everyday usage you need something like which goes from wideangle to moderately tele (examples = 18-55, 18-70, 18-135, 18-200, 17-55, 16-85..)

Go for the D40
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thank you so much for your help......This gets very confusing at times, it's nice to have help.
    But I'm learning.
    I guess I'm ready to purchase a camera.:thumbsup:

Thanks

Tonya

My advice is to buy new unless there's a compelling reason to buy an older camera. For example, if you were going to try to make some money selling sports shots you might want a higher-end camera that works faster and accepting the tradeoffs you'd get having an older camera to stay in a certain budget.

I didn't take my own advice and bought a used D200 when the D300 came out. My reasoning was that it still was a nice upgrade to what I had, I knew it had been taken care of, and I'm cheap.

However, I'd really recommend the D40 for you. Let us know how it goes!

Thread Information