Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Need help with my Zenit AM-2, no sound when fired.

Hello, I was wondering if there is anyone with any experience with this camera that can help me out. I have the camera in working order, the batteries are in and are making good contact as the 3 led's in the viewfinder properly work. I purchased a roll of film yesterday and attempted to take some pictures. Im experiencing a problem however, the camera makes no sound when I fire it to take a picture. I contacted someone I found online and I was told that if it is not making a sound that it could be locked up and that this happens now and then. Can anyone tell me what "locked up" means? Does this mean that the pictures are not coming out because there is no sound? I really have no idea so if anyone could help me out it would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    -Vince

Re: Need help with my Zenit AM-2, no sound when fired.

What are you using for film and in what kind of lighting conditions? The AM-2 uses Aperture Priority which means you pick the aperture and the camera picks the shutter speed. Now maybe the Aperture/Film Speed combination you are trying would cause the shot to be under/over exposed and therefore the camera won't shoot?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

For film I wasn't too sure what to use so I purchased a cheap $3.00 roll from walmart, 35mm, 400ISO. I didnt know what to choose in regards to the ISO number. I learned yesterday while researching about the camera, what the 3 LED's in the viewfinder mean. one means over exposure, one means underexposure and one means correct exposure. I have tried taking pictures when the proper exposure green led was lit, so I am not sure. I am going to buy another roll of film today, do you have any suggestions as to what I should get?

400 is a great all around film speed. If you plan to be shooting more outdoors in direct sunshine I might opt for 100 or 125 or 160, depending on the film. If the other film didn't end up getting exposed, you should still be able to use it. Just rewind until the tension goes but, dont go any further or you'll wind it back into the cassette. When you get a chance to open the back, try taking some shots with the lens off and with the back open. Check to see if the mirror movement is working and if the shutter fires.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Unfortunately, I am unable to re-use the film so I just bought another one, same 400iso. So just to clarify the mirror movement, what am I supposed to be looking for? Im assuming the mirror will tilt upwards? Also, how will I know if the shutter fires, will it open up all the way or something? And lastly, am I supposed to do this test with or without film loaded in the camera? LOL, I'm sorry for all of the newbie question but all of your help is really appreciated, and has been really helpful!

Ok, so I did what you said with the lens removed and the back open, with no film in the camera to see its movement. I noticed before, that the mirror was not moving upwards. After a little bit of fiddling and pushing the picture button, the mirror now moves up and the shutter thing slides upwards too everytime I pull the "lever" back. However, everytime I push the button as if I were trying to capture a photo, nothing moves, and no sound is made. Im assuming something should move when I press the picture button. Could it be that there is something wrong with the picture button? Or maybe Im not pushing it hard enough? I dont think it is the case that I must press it harder but I have no idea otherwise. I just thought I would leave a little update. If anyone has any input, please share, thanks again!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

In your original photo, it looks like the control dial has been moved too far and the "A" for automatic is not aligned with the white dot on the body.
    If you've not moved it then maybe setting it to "A" will help.

Could it be that you have the dial around the shutter release button setting "L" for LOCK ?

The simplest setting to test will be to turn the dial and align the "X" with the white dot.
    That will lock the shutter speed at a speed to synchronise with a flash connected to the "X" socket on the front of the camera.

If that works then you can check the "B" setting which should open the shutter when you press the button, and close it when you let go.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information