Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

repairing a Canon A530.

My son likes to go on photo shoots with me, he also likes to shoot with me - so he uses my Canon A530... He is also only 3 years old - translation - he broke the lens a few days ago... I work on computers all the time, I can dismantle and reassemble a laptop easily. I have however, never touched the inside of a camera. What have I got to lose? It either stays broken, or it gets fixed. I've been thinking about getting a broken A530 and just switching out the lens - which brings me to my main question - the A530 uses the same lens that the A540, A520, and A510 all use - are all those lenss interchangable? Or am I going to have to deal with something silly like proprietary firmware or some stupid thing like that? If anybody knows it would be very helpful, thank you!
    Last edited by Anbesol; 06-28-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Re: repairing a Canon A530.

Well, chances are you can get an A530 parts camera on eBay. However, using the product comparison utility on CanonUSA.com, it looks like you may be correct and that it uses a similar lens on the other A5xx models as well. So it may be worth a shot. As for so-called proprietary firmware ... that's a SONY obsession.

Re: repairing a Canon A530.

lol - I think Microsoft and Dell are the kings of making what should be user-replaceable parts very unfriendly.

Thread Information