Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The hand that feeds

Going through some pics from today that I plan to post in the nature and wildlife forum. This one is my favorite so far ( I haven't gone through them all yet ) so tell me what you think, good or bad.

Thanks
    Tiff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The hand that feeds-handthatfeeds2.jpg  

Re: The hand that feeds

A great perspective and I think that the image works well overall. A shame that two of the ducklings aren't too interested in the hand, also wonder if it may have worked better having something in the hand or something falling from the hand.

I love the perspective! It's as if the camera is one of the ducks and it too is looking for the the food in you hand. but I wonder how it would have looked without the hand... also the Bokah is great.

Thanks for the reply
    I used a wide angle for this so I had to get really low to get the perspective.
    There was some bread in the hand but just crumbs so I cloned them all out. I kinda like how there is no food because they are so interested in the hand and looks almost God like to them and they are just waiting for the hand to give them something.
    BTW what is Bokah?

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

fantastic! Great perspective, very cute.

Bokeh is the smoothness of the out of focus portion of the images. In some images, the out of focus portions will be sort of jagged and not aesthetically pleasing, but with good bokeh they are as smooth as butter.

Some people simply use it to refer to the the blurriness caused by a shallow depth of field.

A great little idea that has worked so well. it has a lovely freshness about it.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Shooter, like Herriot says, it would be better to have something in the hand to indicate feeding. Also there seems to be some object that runs from the little finger of the hand, to the baby on the left. A tad distracting. The neck of a goose perhaps?
    John
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

Yes that is a goose neck and I thought a few times about cloning it out and just never got around to it.
    I'm still on the fence about something in the hand. I think I like it more this way.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Wonderful W/A catch.I love this one.Nice work.

Rick

Nice image. I like the perspective as well.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Hey Tiff, I really like the interesting perspective. There is a whimsical freshness about this and it is one of those shots that are just entertaining and delightful. The interaction between the human hand and the ducklings and your down low point of view on it makes it a good one.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 06-09-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. June 9, 2008
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to check my picture out.

GB1

Hey Shooter

Ha ha ha!!! Love your shot here.. the perspective is excellent - you nailed that - and it reminds me of younger days. I wish the birds were in better focus and that it wasn't so dark at the bottom, but it works well regardless.

Other things that I think would make even stronger (and ideas for next time) are if the hand was a kid's instead of an adults, and that if any area had to be out of focus that it be the hand and not the birds (making the hand so sharp seems to draw attention to it, but there isn't anything in this hand.. Maybe if he was dropping some feed it would be OK).

Try sharpening it up a bit and see if it changes anything.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Tiff
    Thanks for the reply
    I used a wide angle for this so I had to get really low to get the perspective.
    There was some bread in the hand but just crumbs so I cloned them all out. I kinda like how there is no food because they are so interested in the hand and looks almost God like to them and they are just waiting for the hand to give them something.
    BTW what is Bokah?
    I agree! Perfect composition. I love the fact that they are in different positions - each one just doing their thing. Also another interesting angle of view is just looking at and through all the feet. This is a fantastic shot and I just love it. It's a pleasure to view.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Tiff
    Yes that is a goose neck and I thought a few times about cloning it out and just never got around to it.
    I'm still on the fence about something in the hand. I think I like it more this way.
    IMO something in the hand is too cliche' and this is perfect. We all expect some bread or something to get their attention. But this is different and I believe it's what gets the viewer's attention. You don't want to clutter the image. IMO the hand looks good - just the right position. This is a beautiful (and as Gary said) a delightful shot just the way it is. I would add not or subtract a thing.

Liz

Beautiful as is.

Thread Information