Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Teleconverters "Kenko"

Greetings,
    Does anyone know about the suitability or not of a "Kenko teleplus Pro 300" either 2x or 3x for use with Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 or 70-300mm f4. I understand from what I can find that these converters will still allow AF and VR to work with the lenses? Are they a good buy in comparison to a Nikon converter 2x? Thanks
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Re: Teleconverters "Kenko"

I have been using a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x for about 2 years and love it. I use it on a Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 and Nikkor 300 f4 either on a D200 or a D2h. Auto focus works beautifully with little or no noticeable slow down. I don't have a VR lens so I can't speak to that aspect. I would not hesitate to recommend it. I have been considering adding a Kenko 2x to my bag but haven't gotten around to it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I have been using a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x for about 2 years and love it. I use it on a Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 and Nikkor 300 f4 either on a D200 or a D2h. Auto focus works beautifully with little or no noticeable slow down. I don't have a VR lens so I can't speak to that aspect. I would not hesitate to recommend it. I have been considering adding a Kenko 2x to my bag but haven't gotten around to it.
    Old Timer, Thanks, you always come with some great advice and insight. What do you think about a 3X converter from Kenko do you think too much would be lost in f stop flexibility, with that sort of length probably need a tripod so VR not such an issue?

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by shootme
    Old Timer, Thanks, you always come with some great advice and insight. What do you think about a 3X converter from Kenko do you think too much would be lost in f stop flexibility, with that sort of length probably need a tripod so VR not such an issue?

For the type of photography that I do it would be too big of aperture lose to be of benefit. If I put a 3x on my 300mm there is no way that I would be able to hand hold. The shutter speed would drop drastically because of the f stop increase. I sure could not vouch for the 3x not having used one but I have heard that quality and speed of focus do suffer. On the other hand the 2X still get high marks.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    For the type of photography that I do it would be too big of aperture lose to be of benefit. If I put a 3x on my 300mm there is no way that I would be able to hand hold. The shutter speed would drop drastically because of the f stop increase. I sure could not vouch for the 3x not having used one but I have heard that quality and speed of focus do suffer. On the other hand the 2X still get high marks.
    2X it is then, thanks...

I once had a 2X teleconverter, I found the view finder with the teleconverter just too dark.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    I once had a 2X teleconverter, I found the view finder with the teleconverter just too dark.
    Wow, wasn't expecting that. Maybe I can test it out at a shop before I buy with the lenses I want to use it with. Thanks.

Thread Information